Carburator

Carcher

Local time
10:10 AM
Is there a way to clean the dellorto carb , Need I do this at all?

Cleaning a carb can't hurt anything, unless you do it in a dirty environment! With today's gas often having ethanol, running a carburetor often results in having to clean it out - which often means you cussing at a dirty puddle of carb cleaner with your parts sitting in it. This is exacerbated by the variable quality of the fine bits in some chinese carbs. My 4-stroke Honda clone has had a good dozen carb rebuilds and is on it's 4th carb now in 8 years. I ended up using an RT with a 68 jet and it's been super reliable since. I hate California fuel.

Cleaning a carb is pretty straightforward, ofc you start out with having done the research on ideal carb settings, get a can or 2 of carb cleaner and compressed air of some sort, can or tank. A clean plate or shallow bowl. Close the fuel petcock, drain the carb float bowl, undo the fuel line and pull the victim out /end obvious steps.

Disassemble. The object is to get everything as clean as you can and replace any worn-out gasket or o-rings you see. On a very fine level, jets and atomizers have tiny holes that need to be clean, sometimes a single strand of copper wire from a braided copper line helps to put a slight bevel on the edges of em. Blow out every orifice.

Reassemble like you're doing surgery. Everything should be clean and tightened snug. Set carb to base settings and reinstall. Prime it, run engine to operating temperature, and do a plug check. Adjust carb and plug check again if needed. Have a good time!

For some reason it gums up way more often then real 100% gasoline. Finest example is your red plastic fuel can. After sitting for 3/4 months with ethanol fuel in it there's a white ring attached to the inside of the can where the fuel level is. It's a scummy gummy white substance that's hard to clean out. That's the stuff that messes w/your carb.

well then.

that would explain why my fuel filter stopped flowing freely,..and then,....why my jet was partially blocked,...causing my idle to go way too high at startup when I would come off full choke,....or after a hard pull. it was creating a lean condition.

i left the fuel in there all winter,...thinking the 2-stroke oil in the mix would act like a conditioner like advertised on the bottle,... and keep my s**t from doing exactly what it did indeed end up doing.

the bike sat for only 3-4 months. not a TON of gum,...but apparently it was enough. ...….enough to cause an issue.

this forum/website has assisted me now more times than i can count on both hands and feet----10x.

I think the main reason ethanal containing gas is bad is because it can mix with water, like even absorb humidity right out of the air, dissolve it and then allow it to mix with the gasoline. I'm not sure how it does it but running water through a fuel filter does cause it to clog as well.

Alcohol absorbs water and becomes garbage to the engine. Wish we could get straight gas at the pump here in Delaware but e10 is all thats available. Have a VP fuels down the street but it's something like $65 for 5 gallons lol. Yeah no.

And it technically raises the octane level a few points so when you buy 87 octane e10 gas your actually buying like 84 octane low grade gas with corn water added to make it "87".

I mentioned in another thread about get the high octane gas. I use this 1gal sun tea jar with the spigot (or your own contraption) add your gas then water. the alcohol+water separates out at the bottom leaving 87-88 octane pure gas on top
example vid. there's many -

but there's a thing about buying hi octane someone mentioned b4,, unless last person bought 94 from those pumps that do all 3 grades, you buy 1 gal of 94 and you get what was left in the hose :p

good lord. a mini eco-disaster waiting to happen. I think im just gonna use my gas in less than 30days and run a 1/2cup of lacquer thinner through my tank/lines/bowl every 3 months or so. just let it sit for a few hours in there and dump it.

this crap gas that screwed up my bike is currently in: my mower,..my weedwhacker,..my chainsaw, my gas hedge trimmer, and my blower. tomorrow i'm on a mission to drain everything dry. ---and locating a jiffy lube to get rid of it ALL. they can even keep the gas can. I gotta buy some gum cutter too,...or another quart of lacquer thinner

Last edited:
Back