Carby carburetor flooding engine??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gameshark39

Local time
5:23 PM
Hi, i just got myself a new 50cc powerkingshop frame mounted engine, i installed it with no hassle. Ive been able to start the engine and ride it for almost 1 minute before the bike decides to either stall or just stop working. I have a feeling that the carb float is allowing too much gas into the engine and flooding it. Im not familiar with how to fix this so advice is appreciated.

Hey gameshark, make sure you go through the introduce yourself. Then, is it getting spark, you shure you have the gas turned on, simple over looked stuff first? check everything else first. Then lets start by asking this.... do you have any carb experience? If not, we all can work through it here. Or, if your sure its a carb problem, and you can get a new one, and shipped for 20.00 thats a option also without digging into it. Ive done tons of carb work. Cars, motorcycles, mini choppers, HT's. With my 70cc and 80cc ive stopped messing with them for the price. Im not scaring you, there's no much to them inside. Totally your call.

Last edited:
ill give ya 3 things it might be.

nipple for fuel line is dirty inside. (even 1 grain of sand will mess it up)

clip is pinched for the float bowl, in between the bowl and the rest of the carb.

ant 3 is yr engine might be tilted too far back, try tilting the front more down ant the back more up.

let us know how it goes. those are the most common problems.

Did you use a fuel filter because if you did not, I'd bet that is your problem. It could be that when your bike sits, it has time to fill up the carb. That gives you enough gas to drive about one minute or so. If i am right, there is a bit of dirt stuck in the carb and would not take more than ten minutes to fix. Start by removing the gas line from the carb to see if gas flows out of the fuel line. Eletertott (wow that was a mouthful) could be correct about the angle of the engine as well. To help you understand how a carb works, just have a look at the water tank of your toilet. It's the same in every way.
We will get you through this, it's a simple problem, ask as many questions as you have,thats why we are here. Welcome to this site!

thanks for all the input guys, i suspect that the bobber thingie is mispositioned as I assembled the carburetor in a hurry. I dont think theres any dirt thats accumulated in it since i installe the kit last night. Bike will start with excessive force (VERY EXCESSIVE) i gotta be going like 50 km/h pedaling for it to start. Ill reposition the bobber and repost if it starts working.

Thanks everyone, oh and by the way my name's David and its a pleasure to post here.

there are many existing carburetor topics...read thru them to learn how to service your carby.

after i corrected the spelling of "carburetor" some "similar threads" have appeared below :)

The Happy Time carb has got to be the simplest carb I have ever taken apart. In fact it's so simple when I had it apart I felt like there's something missing.
Now if your carb is not leaking as it sits then you are not flooded. You are only flooded if it's leaking. Now you could be low causing your problems so let me tell you exactly where you need to look.
This is from my own personal opinion so please chime in if I'm wrong.
Be careful when you remove your float. On my carb,the hinge pin that holds the fork doing that toilet bowl dance with the float slides off on it's own without that float cover. Be careful of that. So with that,slide off that hinge pin and put the fork and hinge pin aside. Then you see the actual valve that goes in the fuel hole. Slide that off and set it aside. Now take your carb cleaner and connect your straw to your nozzle and attack that fuel hole,fuel hole meaning that nipple your fuel line attaches to. THAT is where you will find crud if anywhere on that carb. You'll strangely find crud in your float bowl too. This is when you start to realize the importance of an inline filter. It don't take much at all to mess up that little valve in that copper fuel line.
Now slide everything back on remembering how that slide came out of that copper gas line. And get a filter.
I've recently had a low fuel problem myself. And I realized it was due to my tank mod.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=104969&postcount=45
My tank seals so well now that I'm not giving the tank any air to allow my fuel to flow.
I also installed my fuel filter wrong. Well anyway you should be okay as far as your carb goes if you push that tickler or "Flood" button and gas comes out within a matter of a few seconds. If it's taking a little while before gas runs out then recheck that copper fuel line valve I mentioned above. That area can easily be overlooked.

Last edited by a moderator:
its alright now, i cleaned the bowl (nothing in there cept gas neways) and fixed the positioning of the carb. It was apparently tilted so that the gas leaked out when it was off and flooded the engine when it was on. Everythings good now, and i gotta say, this bike RIPS!

As usual i'm too late,another satisfied MBc'er........ohh well,don't forget not to leave the choke on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back