Carburetor question

same old carp

I took my bike out for a ride this morning and it started choking down and losing power and eventually just quit. I beat and banged on a few things (the carburetor) and finally got it to run some and made it home. I took it out for another ride and it did better for about the first mile then starting the same bad behavior as before. The carburetor has also gone back to leaking bad again.

What is going on? Am I getting trash in the carburetor? I don't have an inline filter but will be getting one in a few days (when my check arrives). I am at a loss about all of this. It ran great all day yesterday and this morning it turned to you know what. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I would appreciate some comments and some help. If you need more info please just ask.

thanks,
cd

found out what's wrong with the carburetor

With some help I found out what's going on with my carburetor. The two prongs that deal with the float adjustment got stuck high and was causing a flood condition. I found this out by gently pulling down on the prongs. When I did this, the prongs snapped down into place at a lower level like that's the place it should have been all along. Figuring this out may not be much to some people but it's a major breakthrough to me. My question is this; why would the prongs get stuck up higher and not go all the way down to where it's supposed to be? Right now, if it happens again, the fix is to take the bowl off again and pull on the prongs. Not the way I want to fix it every time. Does anyone have any ideas about this? I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Move the prongs up and down and see if you can find where they are binding. Maybe they are rubbing on the sides where the pin goes thru to hold them in place. Maybe a bent pin. Maybe the needle isnt sitting in the seat properly holding the prongs up....

have inline filter

ok... have me an inline filter now. It doesn't seem to be making too much of a difference when it comes to the engine flooding out. I haven't looked at the pin to see if it is bent yet. That would mean taking the whole carburetor off and I'm not sure I'm up to that. I know that eventually I will have to but I'm trying to put it off as long as I can.

I'm going to take it out for a ride when I get through writing this and see how she does. I will carry a screwdriver with me just in case. Maybe I can come back with more info this time. If not, I may have to take the carburetor off.

thanks for listening,
cd

Finally got it fixed!!!

Yes, you heard me right, my carburetor is finally fixed. No more fuel leaks!.. Well what I really did was swap out the carburetor for another carburetor and everything is working great for now. When Jim h. sent me the kit he sent an extra carb and I asked him about it. He said it was just for parts if I needed them. Well I took a chance and the whole thing worked great!

Now maybe I will get better than 10 mpg (lol).. It was leaking real bad. I think I was leaking as much if not more than I was burning.

Thanks for listening. I was just so happy about the new carburetor working that I had to tell someone.

cd

hey crab, if you'll send me your old carb, i will fix it for you for free. i have fixed both of mine , they were'nt leaking as bad as yours sounds like, but they are bone dry now, with no leaks.

Darn crazee... you are a nice gentleman. I will gladly send you the one that leaks. I would like to know what was making it leak. It's a good carburetor except for that. PM me your address and I will send it to you.

I appreciate that man... you don't know how much.
thanks a lot,
john

hey crab, if you'll send me your old carb, i will fix it for you for free. i have fixed both of mine , they were'nt leaking as bad as yours sounds like, but they are bone dry now, with no leaks.

Yes- at times ones just can't wait to take something apart -- and yet others dread the day. If you get into it (carburetor) taking note of how it comes apart -- as mentioned above -- pretty simple.. Some small engine repair shop is going to CHARGE YOU PLENTY when and if the time comes for this what may turn out to be -- a good experience for you - and cheap repair.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Back