carburetor/throttle upgrade. oh yes, i went there...

G

gone_fishin

i think i may have stumbled upon the sophisticated grandpappy of the "happy time" carby.
this is uncannily close...off a 1978 honda express. matter of fact, it's so close i'm betting it'll work. carb w/choke, throttle w/choke, brake lever, killswitch, brakelight. what a tweak this is gonna be if i can pull it off.
41_MVC485F_1.jpg

like the "happy time" it has a mechanical idle-screw. it has a choke that (i think) affects only idle, an idle-mixture screw, & i'm
guessing it has mixture slots on the needle, too, because i can see the circlip. if i'm figuring this right, the express needed a LOT of rpm's to do 30mph, so i bet flow is already adequate, i'm not adverse to punching out the jet tho as last resort.
41_MVC486F_1.jpg

now that the chain tensioner is working right, i need something to do in the morning, so i'll tear it down and have a look.

at the very least i'll have a neat throttle assembly 8)

any info would be groovy :)

Hmmm...that looks interesting. Are you going to bolt it right to the cyl. or will you need a new manifold? If you need a new manifold, I know someone who could make one for you :D

it's almost the exact size as the stock carb, so bolting direct to the cylinder would jam it into the clutch cable.

first i'll just rig something up until i know it works, then we'll talk to your "friend" about a manifold, i hope he works cheap ;)

wavygravy showed up just in time to run-get-me a piece of heaterhose & take some pics :)

41_MVC492F_1.jpg

41_MVC488F_1.jpg

41_MVC489F_1.jpg

will it?
41_MVC491F_1.jpg

it sure will!
41_MVC490F_1.jpg

:devilish: :devilish:

i'll keep yas posted 8)

looks good.....what does the 2nd carb cable do? choke?? nevermind.... I see the choke lever on the grip.

performance??

41_MVC493F_1.jpg

i have 187 miles on a roller-bearing "70"...running penzoil at 32:1...it's starting to kick in really nicely.

the happy time carb: predictable starts & reliable. sorta decent scoot up to 19-21 and it gets a bit flat...if i hold it at 90% throttle i eventually get 26-28mph on the level.

the ???shin carb: hard start, excellent scoot up to 20mph, then i have to feather it around 75% throttle but i get a strong 28mph cruise...this can only get better when i make a real intake and learn how to set it.

any advice or guidance on this carby?

you know, 'kronic, i never thought i'd be messing around in here at all :LOL:

ok, back to the happy-time carb for now...i'll have to work on an intake & really get the new one clean and functioning right.

the honda throttle cable & cap fit right on the happy-time carby, too easy :)

and i'm still goin' there!

a buddy offered to weld whatever i could come up with...waste not, want not ;)

Attachments

• MVC-559F.JPG
    MVC-559F.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 529
  • Mvc-560f.jpg
    Mvc-560f.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 480
  • Mvc-561f.jpg
    Mvc-561f.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 485
Back