Cargo Bike Build

The design I got floating around in my head would be just a long cargo bike with baskets on the rear of it. There will be no stoker for this build. In fact, I dont plan on pedaling it much at all. I just want to actually be able to pedal it if I get noticed by the police. Around here, the local police won't bother you much for anything, but always good to play it safe.
Many places the police won't bother you as long as you're obeying all the other traffic laws.

As for the TAV, I'd like to recommend a real Comet https://www.gopowersports.com/comet-tav-30-75-torq-a-verter-12t-spkt-for-35-chain/
Go Power has them in 40/41 too but out of stock right now. I've used lots of those knock off TAVs, they work fairly well on a bike or mini-bike but struggle on a go-cart, break springs, burn up belts, etc..
Wow, Thanks for the kind advice, Chainlube! Thanks for the link to that TAV. Its about twice the price of the one I linked, but I'm guessing that its worth it if it doesnt break. Would you have a recommendation for a sprocket adapter that also takes 35 chain? Also, can you tell me if #35 chain is good enough for a motorized bike build? From what I've seen so far, there is many differing sizes to choose from, and I'm not skilled enough yet to realize what I'm looking at.

Also, if'n I may...

How many teeth should I run for the rear sprocket? I'll be running this on 26" bicycle wheels.

Wow, Thanks for the kind advice, Chainlube! Thanks for the link to that TAV. Its about twice the price of the one I linked, but I'm guessing that its worth it if it doesnt break. Would you have a recommendation for a sprocket adapter that also takes 35 chain? Also, can you tell me if #35 chain is good enough for a motorized bike build? From what I've seen so far, there is many differing sizes to choose from, and I'm not skilled enough yet to realize what I'm looking at.
Send Go Power a message and find out if they are expecting to have any of the TAVs for the 40/41 chain any time soon, if not then just get the Amazon one, for 70 bucks you can find out if it's any good. 35 chain is not bad for short runs, but on a bike it will break down too much.

Also, if'n I may...

How many teeth should I run for the rear sprocket? I'll be running this on 26" bicycle wheels.
If you go with the 35 chain then get a 60 tooth, but for a 41 chain a 60 tooth is huge. You'll get more bottom end and have decent top end with the 60 tooth.

If you go with the 35 chain then get a 60 tooth, but for a 41 chain a 60 tooth is huge. You'll get more bottom end and have decent top end with the 60 tooth.
And just to clarify, you are recommending the 60T for a motored bike with 26" mtb wheels? Not a go cart or minibike?

Also, can someone recommend and link to a decent twist throttle kit that'll work with my predator 212 engine?

And just to clarify, you are recommending the 60T for a motored bike with 26" mtb wheels? Not a go cart or minibike?
Yes. A pedal bike is lighter than a mini-bike. Your original idea is fine with a 35 chain, because you can pedal a bit, and the machine is light.
A 212 is a lot of engine, with the governor out will easily hit 60mph.

Also, can someone recommend and link to a decent twist throttle kit that'll work with my predator 212 engine?
What carb are you going to use? If you go with a Mikuni knock off, you can get one with its own throttle grip and cable.

Yes. A pedal bike is lighter than a mini-bike. Your original idea is fine with a 35 chain, because you can pedal a bit, and the machine is light.
A 212 is a lot of engine, with the governor out will easily hit 60mph.

What carb are you going to use? If you go with a Mikuni knock off, you can get one with its own throttle grip and cable.

I'm not so much interested in a high top-end for speed, but I want to be able to cruise comfortably at 30mph with a good reserve of power. What do you think of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079QV82HP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A21PS5F1931Q39&th=1

I know its only 40t, so I would like to know your thoughts about it. Do you think it would be too small of a sprocket? Most of the hub adapters I see are between 30-40T. Can you link one for me that is a 60t? I'm having trouble finding one.

Also about the carb: I'm thinking of using the stock carb at first. Once I get the bike assembled and tested, I'll probably add a tuning kit and stuff like that, but reliability and ease of use is important to me, so I probably wont be doing much modifications other than eliminating the governor - your thoughts on that would be appreciated too.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I'm not so much interested in a high top-end for speed, but I want to be able to cruise comfortably at 30mph with a good reserve of power. What do you think of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079QV82HP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A21PS5F1931Q39&th=1

I know its only 40t, so I would like to know your thoughts about it. Do you think it would be too small of a sprocket? Most of the hub adapters I see are between 30-40T. Can you link one for me that is a 60t? I'm having trouble finding one.

Also about the carb: I'm thinking of using the stock carb at first. Once I get the bike assembled and tested, I'll probably add a tuning kit and stuff like that, but reliability and ease of use is important to me, so I probably wont be doing much modifications other than eliminating the governor - your thoughts on that would be appreciated

That's all fine if you use the TAV you originally posted, both take 41 chain. it's a light enough machine that the gear ratio won't affect it too much.

To take out the governor I always remove the flywheel and the side cover on the output side of the engine. Then it's just a matter of punching out the pins that hold the governor in, one arm with a pin on top and the governor gear on the flywheel side. Might as well get a advance key for the flywheel while you have it off, then you'll never have to go back to that again.
There's a few other things you can do but seeing you only want to cruise around at 30-35mph there is no need.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back