Castor oil - amazing smell!

RB55

Local time
3:00 PM
I've heard for a while that castor oil makes 2-strokes smell sweet and fresh instead of giving off that sour, acidic aroma from regular 2-stroke oil and gas. Last week I stopped by the local vitamin store and asked for some pure castor oil, no additives/extra chemicals (very important!). The conversation was something like,
"do you guys have any castor oil?"
"yeah, sure, what do you need it for?"
"my 2-stroke motorized bike engine"
"your what?"
"a 2-stroke engine"
"are you sure you're at the right place sir?"

Anyway I picked up 16oz for something like 5$ so it's pretty cheap and you can get online for even cheaper if you buy in bulk. I mixed up 1/2 oz with 1 gallon of gas and 4 oz of my synthetic 2 stroke oil, along with a tiny bit of Seafoam to preserve the gas. The smell!! Once the engine gets nice and warm, whenever you stop or turn around you get that whiff of burning castor oil. The best way I can describe it is sort of like the smell of fresh wood, but sweet and fresh. I'm sure the pedestrians I pass on my ride also enjoy it as well (it makes up for the loud exhaust). Yes, I've heard that it can gum up piston rings but I'm using a very small amount (now I just pour in a bit, you don't need much for the smell) and will be eventually switching to maxima 927 or Castor once i decide to spend 31$ on a half gallon.

Bell Ray MC-1 racing oil in the 70’s has that same smell, I picked up a unopened but dirty bottle at a yard sale a couple of years ago, smelled good when running the chain saw.

I've been smelling like Polaris oil all day from snowmobiling! My jacket just reaks and i just washed it last night.

Funny about the castor oil is that it's a remedy for constipation and it's an oil so they must have taken a double take when you said for two strokes.

Last edited:
Back