CatNip Magneto / CDI wiring

Fishfiles

Local time
1:56 PM
I mounted the CatNip magneto

there are 3 wires on it black , blue and red , the coil/cdi was two wires blue and black , the kill switch has green and black ---

so do't use the red wire ????

hook blue to blue and green ?

hook all the blacks together ?

Attachments

• EgEHM1AdS6GoFD3w7tFIBQ.jpg
    EgEHM1AdS6GoFD3w7tFIBQ.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 245

there are 3 wires on it black , blue and red , the coil/cdi was two wires blue and black , the kill switch has green and black ---

You got it right! Actually, the blue and red wires off the coil start at the same spot so you could use either and just snip off the other one.
As a rule of thumb, all the black wires go together, but the kill is just an momentary switch and can be wired the other way around.

Still have not got it to spark ----- sanded the back side of the new magneto and where the ground eyelet goes under the bolt --- got the keyway indexed at 1:00 , which should not make a different of not firing , just timing of the fire , if my thinking is right ----- used business cards to gap the magneto ----- what am I missing ?

Seems it blew that new Cat Nip cdi up or it came that way cause it don't spark , failed the test with two different meters ----- vender is sending another on out

Vender sent me two more coils and cdi boxes free , when I try to ohm them I get no reading on any of the three cdi's I have now , these CDI's are stand alone coil set up , so mabe they can't be tested the same ----- I have not tried either of these two new to me CDI's yet on the bike for fire

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_eff.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_eff.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 231
Vender sent me two more coils and cdi boxes free , when I try to ohm them I get no reading on any of the three cdi's I have now , these CDI's are stand alone coil set up , so mabe they can't be tested the same ----- I have not tried either of these two new to me CDI's yet on the bike for fire
IIRC ohms should go to "0" if there is flow.

I use a catnip cdi. I've had no problems with it in the two years it's been on the bike, or the one i got earlier this year for the bike I'm playing with now. If you use a super mag, the spark is purple and f'n hurts ya whole arm if you get hit by it. Curve ain't the greatest, It's alright though. I like them for high compression builds where the rpm's aren't going sky high, and been using it with nitropropane, works good for me. I used to keep an extra cdi strapped to my bikes, since using the catnip and three bbr ( ok cdi, bout the same curve if not the same curve as the catnip) I haven't done that in years.

I use a catnip cdi. I've had no problems with it in the two years it's been on the bike, or the one i got earlier this year for the bike I'm playing with now. If you use a super mag, the spark is purple and f'n hurts ya whole arm if you get hit by it. Curve ain't the greatest, It's alright though. I like them for high compression builds where the rpm's aren't going sky high, and been using it with nitropropane, works good for me. I used to keep an extra cdi strapped to my bikes, since using the catnip and three bbr ( ok cdi, bout the same curve if not the same curve as the catnip) I haven't done that in years.
If you put an ohm meter between the two inlet wires of the cdi box , red and black , do you get any reading ??

I get nothing on 3 boxes , might be a bad batch of boxes

If you put an ohm meter between the two inlet wires of the cdi box , red and black , do you get any reading ??

You have to go from the positive side to the sparkplug lead to get a reading.

You can't read a cdi like that. They are a capacitive circuit. Every time you apply the leads you are charging the capacitor if any current is flowing, and the cdi is waiting for an opposing wave to trigger. You can test the coil, but the cdi can't be tested that way. You just have to hook it up and see if it sparks. You should get a white, blue or purple spark. A yellow spark is weak. Is your plug bad?

Back