Cause of MB Crash Was ?

I've had one good crash, and two near misses.

Riding down Union ave. in tulsa I managed to clip a curb that wasn't there 20 feet ago and go down in the street - road rash on head and shoulder, hand broken in 2 places. That was more than 2 months ago, I still can't make a fist with that hand.

Today, my 2 near misses... One, an older guy not paying attention in a small truck donated his mirror to my collection when he turned in front of me... Punched his window, yelled, grabbed the mirror, dodged and was away without injury. Later, I was riding and noticed that there was a little hiccup when I'd let off the throttle or when I'd start the engine. The back of the bike felt like it was going sideways just a bit, that raised big red flags and I proceeded slowly on pedal power until I could turn off into a parking lot to check it out - one of the nuts holding the back wheel on the moon dog was loose. Yipe.

I guess my moral would be... check your bike before riding. Pay attention. And when something doesn't sound or feel right, STOP and check it out!

-Mark

I've had one good crash, and two near misses.

Riding down Union ave. in tulsa I managed to clip a curb that wasn't there 20 feet ago and go down in the street - road rash on head and shoulder, hand broken in 2 places. That was more than 2 months ago, I still can't make a fist with that hand.

Today, my 2 near misses... One, an older guy not paying attention in a small truck donated his mirror to my collection when he turned in front of me... Punched his window, yelled, grabbed the mirror, dodged and was away without injury. Later, I was riding and noticed that there was a little hiccup when I'd let off the throttle or when I'd start the engine. The back of the bike felt like it was going sideways just a bit, that raised big red flags and I proceeded slowly on pedal power until I could turn off into a parking lot to check it out - one of the nuts holding the back wheel on the moon dog was loose. Yipe.

I guess my moral would be... check your bike before riding. Pay attention. And when something doesn't sound or feel right, STOP and check it out!

-Mark

hey is ur lastname tinker?? if so...so is mine my name is darick tinker my brothers name is mark tinker...he was born in 1981, i was born in 1987

hey is ur lastname tinker?? if so...so is mine my name is darick tinker my brothers name is mark tinker...he was born in 1981, i was born in 1987

Nope... afraid not. "Tinker" has been a nickname for some time, due to my tendency to tinker with things :p

-Mark

Cause of latest unplanned dismount: 3" tall ridges of ice running at a slight angle to my path. Riding the Trek. On the plus side; Nobody saw it, and it was low speed. I'd just shut the engine down.

I used to walk my MB into the elevator for months. Then the building attendant allowed me to ride my MB into the parking structure.

I bought a 3/4 face Snell helmet four months ago. While entering the parking garage, I tried to sneak in behind a car past the arm that rises and falls at the entrance. The arm dropped quickly and hit my helmet, which caused me to lose control. That drove me and my bike into the concrete pillar...

HEAD FIRST!!!

When the lot attendant rushed to my side, I yelled out "I'm all right, I'm all right."

And I was...all right. Not even a headache. Only paint scrapes from the pillar on my 3/4 face Snell motorcycle helmet.

I had to fill out an accident report. My basket was bent, but I squeezed it back into shape. My engine and bike was fine, no damage.

Now I squeeze past the arm every day, then pedal and full throttle both engines up the ramp. Bad on the clutches, but safe for my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend for all of you to get a LOUD car horn and a 12V battery!!! It has saved me so many times because I honk the horn at busy intersections and road entrances before the cars have a chance to cut me off.

You still get the occasional selfish, inconsiderate dummy that WILL see you on your bicycle, and STILL pull right out in front of you, but you can just blast the horn continously to the point of annoyance, and it DOES get their attention then. :devilish: I had an old man in a minivan cut me off really bad when I was going slow around a lake (only 20 mph) and I laid the horn on him so bad, he got mad and honked back, even though he was in the wrong, but at least all the other cars stopped when I was horn blasting that guy!

Safety first, and any way to get the cager's attention! I'd rather crash by myself (which I have) than hit a car. My buddy with the 6.5HP tricycle I built for him ran right into the side of an SUV that ran a stop sign, and he had to go to the hospital for a dislocated shoulder!

no doubt ZnsaneRyder

I recommend for all of you to get a LOUD car horn and a 12V battery!!! It has saved me so many times because I honk the horn at busy intersections and road entrances before the cars have a chance to cut me off.

no doubt ZnsaneRyder

the loud horn is a good idea
but many of us are trying to keep the weight down
that's what's nice about a motorized bicycle
not to have everyTHING including the kitchen sink attached

I understand though -- it is a good safty THING to have on board

as we ride that THING

Thats funny, LOL

That horn THING is very lightweight actually, the NiCd battery weighs more, but still very light compared to any small Lead Acid battery, I honestly cannot tell ANY difference in the way it rides with those THINGS on there.

I do completely understand reducing the weight, but I've actually found a heavier bike to ride smoother. I used to use my Aluminum-Framed bike, and I switched to a heavier Steel-Framed THING to smoothen the ride.

Happy and crash-free riding!
Znsane

Always A Good THING

On the plus side; Nobody saw it, and it was low speed. I'd just shut the engine down.

nobody saw it
and you walked away
always a good THING

just one more hard lesson for a motor biker to learn
it's so nice to walk away rather than the
CRASH AND BURN
AS WE LISTEN TO THE MOTOR
AND THE WHEELS STILL TURN

once more to -- ride that THING

silly silly Mountainman -- went down today -- pretty hard on friend's MB

yes -- got the bloody knee and elbow a going on

when my friend was riding his -- we just repaired it MB