CDI lifespan ?

azbill

Local time
11:58 AM
I just had to replace a CDI that had less thasn 200 miles on it ...is this normal ? I bought it off dax 12/13 so miss my warranty by 2 weeks :(

azkronic said:
I just had to replace a CDI that had less thasn 200 miles on it ...is this normal ? I bought it off dax 12/13 so miss my warranty by 2 weeks :(

I have never (knock on wood) had a cdi fail. I have had 2 of the attached spark plug boots malfunction.(the origional boot has brass parts screwed into plastic, with a spring underneath.) eventually, you will pull off your sparkplug wire & the brass will be still on your plug. the spring will disappear and you'll be pedalling..... :cry: . Since then, I replace the ends with the automotive type first thing.

davo

azkronic said:
I just had to replace a CDI that had less thasn 200 miles on it ...is this normal ? quote]

No. Most CDI's last thousands of miles and years of service.

ya my brass peice and my spring fell out friday but luckyily i found them on my motor i just pulled off my spark plug cap and thay fell out but i put them back in and it works fine and my wires were being stupid but i fixed that. question is it normal that the spark plug cover is loose?

I had one fail after only a couple of hours. Fortunately it didn't stop working completly so I was able to get home from work with the engine misfiring.

Moth

Hugemoth said:
I had one fail after only a couple of hours. Fortunately it didn't stop working completly so I was able to get home from work with the engine misfiring.

Moth

the same thing happend i found out my blue wire was falling out. is that what happend to yours?

Internal failure. Tried swapping out the unit with a couple different bikes and the problem followed it. Wire terminal connections were good.

Moth

O I SEE i only have a choice to fix it or wait till i get a new part i only got one bike. but i try to make mine last as long as possible with out spending to much money.lol

CDI's don't usually go bad, but when they do, they're done.
I am assuming you tried one from another bike and your engine ran?

Also I'd like to add a warning (hopefully not too late for some).

With certain CDI units, it is sure death to pull the plug wire off and turn the engine over....I found this out by doing just that with a Kawaski powered aircraft. It smoked the CDI instantly.
ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR PLUG IS WELL GROUNDED TO THE ENGINE WHEN TURNING IT OVER. :eek: :(

Back