CDI protection

M

Member 28982

Okay so the silicone trick in and around all opening of CDI doesn t work... Maybe for a Few but florida heat and heat from engine causes it to fail.
Water from riding in heavy rainstorms or generally any wet weather... Water still splashes up around fenders onto CDI....

What is a better method than silicone? Is it possible to wrap the area with a material that will repel water. My CDI fails every few rain storms.... Need ideas... But needs to keep area dry regardless.
CDI condoms?
Do they make these?
LoL

Okay so the silicone trick in and around all opening of CDI doesn t work... Maybe for a Few but florida heat and heat from engine causes it to fail.
Water from riding in heavy rainstorms or generally any wet weather... Water still splashes up around fenders onto CDI....

What is a better method than silicone? Is it possible to wrap the area with a material that will repel water. My CDI fails every few rain storms.... Need ideas... But needs to keep area dry regardless.
CDI condoms?
Do they make these?
LoL
The cdi is potted and doesn't really get wet and shouldn't be effected by engine heat.Your rotor being wet can effect out put,also if your air filter gets saturated you run pig rich until it wont even run.

CDI condoms?
Do they make these?
LoL
The dude that falsely says ebikes can not survive rain is having a problem?

Do you mean CDI or magneto? or do you even know the difference?
CDI's are potted so zero water can get in to affect it.

So why every few rain storms am I having to replace the CDI genius?
And for the record buddy, every time I pass a ebike, they're really slow, if I stop. I'm asked a hundred questions by the guy riding the electric bike because he wants a gas powered bike. LoL
And every one of them complain about the rain.
So hypocritical bro, why?

So why every few rain storms am I having to replace the CDI genius?
And for the record buddy, every time I pass a ebike, they're really slow, if I stop. I'm asked a hundred questions by the guy riding the electric bike because he wants a gas powered bike. LoL
And every one of them complain about the rain.
So hypocritical bro, why?
Correlation does not imply causation.
Did your genuis self consider relocating the CDI on the seapost after the xth CDI failed?
Is sparky using the stock bullet connectors?

Radrover ebikes is located in rainy, rainy Seattle and they ride all the time, but as a SoCal
rider nobody rides in the rain so never tried it.
25 mph is not bad.

After muffler mod. My top end is 42mph peddaling in 7th gear. If I dont pedal. I'm well above 29 if not in the low 30s.... Also. No more issues with vehicles because now they hear me before they see me. Loud as FK bro. LoL
Only a 49cc 2 stroke. With well over 3,100 miles.
Anyways, no...i soldered my wire connections from CDI. Magneto. Kill switch. No b.s.
Show a pic later but I'm basically using bonding connectors for wires rated at 16 AWG.
I didn't put the CDI under the seat post because that would interfere with the lock I use for my bike.

Attachments

• 20181217_144721_HDR-1.jpg
    20181217_144721_HDR-1.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 419
i solder heat shrink and then wrap it all like 10x with some e-tape and i keep red rtv permatex as a magneto gasket just enough to match the gasket so not a bunch squeezes in when you torque it and as for the hole the wires run out i either fill with silicone or ive been using hot glue this newest engine and i ride my bike in tampa no matter the weather bike seems to like the rain if you can keep her mag dry just dont like to idle right with the rate the rain cools the engine while riding

I rode my share of miles on chinagirls and never once had a problem with the CDI going out in wet weather.

If your CDI, which as stated by others is sealed, goes out in wet weather, that's likely because you have a short somewhere.

Yes that short can happen if your magneto gets wet.

Well, we know that the killswitch just effectively grounds out the power that would otherwise go to the plug. It's quite simple.

However, some engines are better grounded to the frame than others, and some have killswitches of different types, with some interesting ways to wire said things and yet more interesting ways for things to interact when moisture is introduced to the equation.

What I'm saying is there is a lot we don't know about this guy's wiring, but I would prolly vote for ripping it all apart and redoing it if stuff is blowing out consistently LOL

Back