CDI protection

The kill switch does not ground the power out that goes to the plug, it's way too high of voltage and would require a big switch, would malfunction in the rain, and you run the possibility of getting annoyingly shocked every time you touch it. The kill switch should short out the power to the CDI, same thing as grounding the mag.

The kill switch does not ground the power out that goes to the plug, it's way too high of voltage and would require a big switch, would malfunction in the rain, and you run the possibility of getting annoyingly shocked every time you touch it. The kill switch should short out the power to the CDI, same thing as grounding the mag.

I didn't say it grounded the high voltage side, I said it effectively grounds the power before the plug is able to fire. Semantics, really. Also, I have experienced a mag taking a CDI out and also experienced several other anomalies with old chinagirl magnetos in general. I had one I swear was friggin haunted, it was at least cursed. Toyota Prius would occasionally backfire when within 20 feet of it (no, not joking). Once I got rid of it I had no more oddball electrical issues. Hard to measure EMI and make anything out of the findings.

I have experienced a mag taking a CDI out and also experienced several other anomalies with old chinagirl magnetos in general
Okay I can't argue with that. Can you elaborate a bit on what actually happened in these cases and is there any connection with wet weather? (Should the OP try a different mag or try a different way of sealing the mag cover?)

The OP should probably start by measuring resistance through the mag, the cdi, and the plug wire and cap. Normally i wouldn't recommend throwing parts at an engine but come on you could replace the entire system except the magnet for super cheap, like cheaper than the ohm meter to test the existing.
Screenshot_2019-02-21-08-24-15.png

Okay so the silicone trick in and around all opening of CDI doesn t work... Maybe for a Few but florida heat and heat from engine causes it to fail.
Water from riding in heavy rainstorms or generally any wet weather... Water still splashes up around fenders onto CDI....

What is a better method than silicone? Is it possible to wrap the area with a material that will repel water. My CDI fails every few rain storms.... Need ideas... But needs to keep area dry regardless.
CDI condoms?
Do they make these?
LoL
I would not recommend wrapping coils in anything. Heat is what would take out the components more than anything. Excess vibration if your bike really shakes a lot can break solder connections as well.

I've been running the same engine on my bike for 7 yrs and have never had a CDI fail, ever. Had 2 mag coils fail, 1 was the old style 3 - wire crap, and 1 failed due to a short from the frame (chafing) I hooked up a toggle switch for a kill switch, and soldered and heat-shrinked all wires and added a wire cover, been running 4 yrs with 0 problems.

Back