CDI ??

C

Cookie

Ok here it goes I wiped out about a month ago and trashed my knee so I could not ride my bike ......last week I got on my bike and got it running but it started acting like it was not getting gas (checked the line it was flowing) then the engine just stopped firing I have checked the wiring, plug. and the only other thing I have to check is the CDI unit, is there something I can use instead of the CDI unit to see if the problem is in the CDI unit or in the motor.

My motor mount is shot but that is no problem to replace.

Cookie

"Quemadmoeum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."
("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands.") -
Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD).

Have you done this yet:

Pull the spark plug out of the head and plug it into the coil. When its dark, turn the engine over and see if you are getting spark...

Unplug your blue and black wires from CDI. Take ohm meter and check between the blue and black towards engine magneto. You should get 250ohms, If not..It needs replacing...Thanks..

info

Thanks guys ..... I finaly got the beast running I swaped oput the cdi unit with an old one I had and put a shot of marvial mystry oil down the head (it was a little stiff) after a couple loud bback fires she started running like her old self.

Cookie

What does the cdi actually do? .... and does the kill switch hook up to the white wire or the black/blue?

CDI stands for capacitive discharge ignition.... The black box on these engines is a combination ignition coil and electronic box..... The engine internal generator charges a capacitor in the box and at the correct time the energy in the capacitor is dumped across the primary of the ignition coil causing a high voltage spark at the secondary and at the plug.....

The connections are black wire from engine to black wire of coil, blue wire of engine to blue wire of coil ....... White wire to kill switch to ground/bike frame....... I suspect that by grounding the blue wire will do the same thing and kill the engine.....

Regards Al

I have the black the the black, the blue to the blue and the kill switch and the white to nothing yet and it seems to be working fine. I do have unexplaining sputtering after every 3 miles that I can't figure out tho...

look, i don't have my engine yet, but wouldn't that have to be a carb thing? every 3 miles sounds about right for a bowl-related problem, just guessing, maybe it'll help.

bowl related? what kind of probs can you have with it - and is the bowl the part I circled here?

1102061053circlebowl.jpg

Back