CDI ??

yes.

i have NOT yet had the chance to see one of these carbs, so i'm not sure what i'd find inside yours, i'm imagining a primitive float setup (someone who knows, clue us in), since u can reasonably expect to get about three miles on a smidgen of fuel, i'm (only) guessing your float-or-whatever is sticking or misadjusted?

so do I need a new carb then? I will take it apart and see if I can see something wrong...

i saw cookie mention somewhere about condensation causing a periodic sputter, someone else mentioned a little dry-gas solved it...maybe so, peek inside the tank (don't use a match) check all your fittings, watch the fuel-line for bubbles. better one of these than going into the carb. in case you didn't know: the bowl and float is how your fuel is recieved (and stored) by the carb, if there's something wrong in there, it could surely cause a periodic sputtering.

now, as far as opening the bowl, if you've never, then be very careful to not strip any screws or tear any gaskets, they could possibly be fragile items: all i'd be looking for is obvious sticking or snagging of the float...beyond that, i'd have to be there to be able to advise you on any adjustments, be cautious without sure knowledge.

augidog said:
i saw cookie mention somewhere about condensation causing a periodic sputter, someone else mentioned a little dry-gas solved it...maybe so, peek inside the tank (don't use a match) check all your fittings, watch the fuel-line for bubbles. better one of these than going into the carb. in case you didn't know: the bowl and float is how your fuel is recieved (and stored) by the carb, if there's something wrong in there, it could surely cause a periodic sputtering.

now, as far as opening the bowl, if you've never, then be very careful to not strip any screws or tear any gaskets, they could possibly be fragile items: all i'd be looking for is obvious sticking or snagging of the float...beyond that, i'd have to be there to be able to advise you on any adjustments, be cautious without sure knowledge.

I took the bottom off the carb-bowl and the float is floating in fuel. I made sure the sparkplug is sparking and I just don't know what to do at this point...

-EDIT- my dad took the carb apart and found that the pin was sticking because of particle build-up. I put a particulate filter in the fuel line and the engine went for another 40 miles before the CDI went out on me.

Back