Center Kickstand part

I just watched a youtube video last night that showed a guy starting his engine by lifting the rear tire and spinning it. I think the video was titled something like "starting motoredbike before leaving work" or something like that.

They are nice for holding up the bike, but don;t try starting the bike on it, it will bend. I had one on mt Royce Union MB ( Now M.I.A. stole in Vegas) the mount bolt sheared and it was instant flat tire. Good thing I was only three blocks from home. Other than that I loved how it worked!

My centre-stand arrived this afternoon, just as I was mixing fuel, so I quickly bolted it on and tried kick-starting. Took a few kicks to perfect a technique.

Now, 1 kick if warm, 2 kicks cold - one on full choke then one with no choke. About 1/4-1/2 throttle.
(I should add that I can't turn the pedals one full turn, it's a matter of getting the RHS pedal at 45º forward, then one good kick, like a real bike. The moment it fires I whip the clutch in - Bob's your uncle.)
Mine is an 18-speed MB. At first I tried low range second gear and it was hard to kick over, so I dropped to low range first gear - beautiful, even with the billet head. It's great; kick-start in the garage, warm it a bit, then one turn of the pedals as I let the clutch out.
Had 5 rides now - no worries.
If I can kick-start it now, I might have a chance with a shift-kit, as long as I keep a nice small chainwheel for low kick-start gearing.

No bending Dan - this is a pretty sturdy alloy stand. The bracket is cast alloy and the 'n' shaped legs are about 1/2" thick-walled alloy tube.
The mount bolt is 9mm, needs replacing with hi-tensile and the pivot is a cheap M.S. rivet, 5-6mm - another hi-tensile bolt.
You're 140lb and I'm 110lb, so you might have tried a different stand.

I'm still grinning - this is fun.
... Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
atombikes, I tried starting mine by spinning the wheel over by hand on the centre-stand today - no chance. Too much compression. I can't even turn it through one compression stroke.
I figure that if this stand bends or breaks, I'll buy another and get it reinforced as much as necessary. Being alloy, it's more likely to break than bend, I think.
After 2 days of kick-starting, I'm never going back.

... Steve

I got the steel one because it was cheap:whistle: (I had limited spending power, now I have no spending power):cry: And I had the same thought:unsure:that I could start it on the stand, your right I should have got a better stand and tried that. I will Next time!

All the same, Dan, let's see how long mine lasts. There's no chance of the legs bending, but the alloy bracket is a bit thin in one spot.
So far no problems, though.
I've started it that way about 12-15 times now.
Just went out and did it again to show it to a friend who's thinking of building an MB.
I saw a strong-looking steel one at EziRide Cycles but it was $60.
(I opted for the cheaper one, too.)

... Steve

All the same, Dan, let's see how long mine lasts. There's no chance of the legs bending, but the alloy bracket is a bit thin in one spot.
So far no problems, though.
I've started it that way about 12-15 times now.
Just went out and did it again to show it to a friend who's thinking of building an MB.
I saw a strong-looking steel one at EziRide Cycles but it was $60.
(I opted for the cheaper one, too.)

... Steve

Actually our centre stands are $49.95 NOT $60.

My centre-stand arrived this afternoon, just as I was mixing fuel, so I quickly bolted it on and tried kick-starting. Took a few kicks to perfect a technique.

Now, 1 kick if warm, 2 kicks cold - one on full choke then one with no choke. About 1/4-1/2 throttle.
(I should add that I can't turn the pedals one full turn, it's a matter of getting the RHS pedal at 45º forward, then one good kick, like a real bike. The moment it fires I whip the clutch in - Bob's your uncle.)
Mine is an 18-speed MB. At first I tried low range second gear and it was hard to kick over, so I dropped to low range first gear - beautiful, even with the billet head. It's great; kick-start in the garage, warm it a bit, then one turn of the pedals as I let the clutch out.
Had 5 rides now - no worries.
If I can kick-start it now, I might have a chance with a shift-kit, as long as I keep a nice small chainwheel for low kick-start gearing.

No bending Dan - this is a pretty sturdy alloy stand. The bracket is cast alloy and the 'n' shaped legs are about 1/2" thick-walled alloy tube.
The mount bolt is 9mm, needs replacing with hi-tensile and the pivot is a cheap M.S. rivet, 5-6mm - another hi-tensile bolt.
You're 140lb and I'm 110lb, so you might have tried a different stand.

I'm still grinning - this is fun.
... Steve

ok where u get ur stand from ?
i see i can 1 from eziride or gasman
still savin for a cell mtx1 :sick:

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back