Center Stand Suitable for Sitting on

Towelie318

Local time
10:19 PM
Hello. I just have a quick question that thus far Google has not been able to help me with. My father in law has two beach cruiser style motorized bikes that he wants to put center stands on. The reason being, he wants to be able to sit on the bike while getting the motor started (i.e. start pedaling while sitting on the stand, then start the motor with the spinning wheel). I've searched for a little while now but cannot find a center stand that expressly says that it will support that kind of weight. He's weighs about 175 pounds. Do any of you know of a stand or a stand that I can modify that would be suitable?

Thanks in advance.

What is the point in that? If he wants to sit on the bike while getting the motor started, just sit on the bike while getting the motor started like everyone else does.

you can try looking into a double leg rear kick stand to prop up the back wheel. you can try to reinforce it also. i would try to find one from walmart or somewhere you can easily return it and see if it works. also note the material grade of the metal for more strength. i can see the benefits of propping it up, obviously to warm up the engine in the relative warmth/comfort of your garage versus waiting out in the street a few minutes. Note, you might not even have to sit on the bike and can hand crank the pedals to get the engine started. I guess this is the same for the center kickstands also. its worth buying either at walmart just to try to hand crank the pedals to start it. i've seen folks start it by lifting the back wheel and kicking the pedals once.

s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-28-...439770?hash=item2a7ae4c65a:g:8AMAAOSw~AVYnWf9

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
i can see the benefits of propping it up, obviously to warm up the engine in the relative warmth/comfort of your garage versus waiting out in the street a few minutes.

That makes sense I guess. but you are eventually going to be cold when riding :) If that's the case, I would just get a GT5 engine with the electric drill start.

I honestly don't know why he'd rather do it this way, but he said he tried to "pop the clutch" to bump start it while riding down the rode and somehow he about ate it. Not sure how this could even be possible with my limited knowledge of these bikes, but that's neither here nor there I guess. I ride a motorcycle, but have never messed around on a motorized bike. He asked, so I go searching.

Thanks bakaneko, I'll take a look at that.

I honestly don't know why he'd rather do it this way, but he said he tried to "pop the clutch" to bump start it while riding down the rode and somehow he about ate it. Not sure how this could even be possible with my limited knowledge of these bikes, but that's neither here nor there I guess. I ride a motorcycle, but have never messed around on a motorized bike. He asked, so I go searching.

Thanks bakaneko, I'll take a look at that.

I haven't even mounted my engine on my bike yet so take this how you will but from what I have learned so far I have a few guesses.
To skid the rear wheel when you pop the clutch it could be:
Far too high compression (cranking pressure)
Or
Far too small rear wheel sprocket
Or more likely
Badly set up chain, poor chain line, lack of tension, tensioner malfunction

These are just guesses, and for discussion/correction I'm sure, but I would be looking for a malfunction rather than a stand since it isn't normal to have a problem with the rolling start.

I seen one that was pretty beefy that would take you standing up and pedal starting in place but I can't recall the make, I do know however that anything from wallmart will fail on you.

Your issue is the back tire locking when you release the clutch.
Does it roll around free with the clutch in?
If so it's not chain.

That leaves the gear reduction on the right side, or for some reason your piston can't move, something as simple as an NGK longer plug in a straight head could case that.

Pull your plug and see if the engine turns over.
If it still won't you have serious piston problems...
What if anything have you done to engine, like crack the case open?

Last edited:
I seen one that was pretty beefy that would take you standing up and pedal starting in place but I can't recall the make, I do know however that anything from wallmart will fail on you.

Your issue is the back tire locking when you release the clutch.
Does it roll around free with the clutch in?
If so it's not chain.

That leaves the gear reduction on the right side, or for some reason your piston can't move, something as simple as an NGK longer plug in a straight head could case that.

Pull your plug and see if the engine turns over.
If it still won't you have serious piston problems...
What if anything have you done to engine, like crack the case open?
What in the world are you diagnosing right now lol?

What in the world are you diagnosing right now lol?
We're coming up with possible reasons why the OP's dad's bike doesn't want to bump start like the normal way.
Just things to look into before going ahead and buying a stand that most people don't find necessary.
I might have been way off with my suggestions, but I think this is a sensible direction to take this thread.

"...he said he tried to "pop the clutch" to bump start it while riding down the rode and somehow he about ate it. Not sure how this could even be possible..."

Back