Centering gear sprocket on rear rim hub

NicoMec

Local time
2:09 PM
So I have been having issues with my rear rim and the gear sprocket. I had to buy a few rear rims because the gear sprocket gets going off-center in terms of the rim hub and the actual sprocket. The bolts tend to loosen easily and eventually, this breaks the spokes to my rim and bends the rim pretty badly. Any advice for a type of shim or spacer I can get to keep the gear sprocket center to the rim hub and bolts that will keep everything intact? I was also thinking of maybe just getting a jackshaft kit instead to not deal with this anymore but I don't know. Some advice would be appreciated thank you.

EDIT: The pictures below are what I mean for clarification. I need something similar to what the nuts are doing in that picture to keep the sprocket centered but I do not quite know the trick yet.

Attachments

• 20221221_144652.jpg
    20221221_144652.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 20221221_140023.jpg
    20221221_140023.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 121
So I have been having issues with my rear rim and the gear sprocket. I had to buy a few rear rims because the gear sprocket gets going off-center in terms of the rim hub and the actual sprocket. The bolts tend to loosen easily and eventually, this breaks the spokes to my rim and bends the rim pretty badly. Any advice for a type of shim or spacer I can get to keep the gear sprocket center to the rim hub and bolts that will keep everything intact? I was also thinking of maybe just getting a jackshaft kit instead to not deal with this anymore but I don't know. Some advice would be appreciated thank you.
Use Locknuts

But I recommend throwing away that rag joint and getting a mount that clamps on the hub.

Use Locknuts

But I recommend throwing away that rag joint and getting a mount that clamps on the hub.
Where could I find this mount? And I did use locknuts, was gonna use thread locker to see if that'll make the difference.

Where could I find this mount? And I did use locknuts, was gonna use thread locker to see if that'll make the difference.
I don't have any more time at the moment my wife's calling me to bed :love:

I'm sure a 2 stroke expert will chime in and help you find what you need

BTW ya don't need loctite with good locknuts If ya use loctite it just eats the nylon
I hear if ya cut grooves in the rag joint rubber for the spokes to lie in, that helps alot and keeps it from slipping and breaking the spokes

I also recommend a rear wheel with 12 gauge spokes

Just slapping on a rag joint with the sprocket without following the actual proceedure will result in failure like what is now happening to you.
Here is a set of instructions for the proper way to install rag joint and sprocket...When I used to run rag joints on spoke rims, this is the proceedure I used and it worked perfectly for me...Page two is quite specific.

Ps, I used blue locktight thread locker when I did this.

Screenshot_2022-12-21_04-19-57.png

Screenshot_2022-12-21_04-20-34.png

Depending on the diameter of your rear hub.

A few different styles for you.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You did use the 3 metal parts that go opposite the sprocket on the rag joint right? I'm pretty new at this too and my rag joint hasn't come loose at all since I replaced the cheap nuts and bolts that the threads stripped out of.

EDIT: The pictures below are what I mean for clarification. I need something similar to what the nuts are doing in that picture to keep the sprocket centered but I do not quite know the trick yet.
That's an easy one, get a roll of masking tape and wrap the hub until the sprocket just fits over. And get rid of those screws in favor of some proper bolts. 6mm.

Back