Centrifugal clutch and related experiments.

Actually what I said was wrong, the tip is soldered to the die cast pot metal that they use to make a carburetor.

The nipple was the gas line hookup to an nt carb, I hacksawed the threaded portion out of the carb that the nipple threaded into. One of the fins for the intake snapped off so it was close to hitting the scrap bucket anyway. The metal soldered to it kinda reluctantly, think it was just taking a while for the Flux to break past the oxide layer. Once both parts were wetting nicely to the silver solder I took a flame and heated them up for 30 seconds (I found they both had high heat dissipation, the iron was having trouble keeping both hot enough to keep the solder flowing) and then sealed them together.

This means the brass fitting on the green tube unscrews from the end of the gun, and the silver tip unscrews from the gun too, not important but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

I saw some zerk fittings at Harbor freight, @darwin, I was thinking of retrofitting the input of that brass and tube fixture to have a zerk since they have them reasonably small. This would alow the grease gun with a normal end to be attached without screwing the gun onto the thread and rather just popping it on.

So studying the parts and cleaning them on close inspection we find the bearing ream is pretty rough looking, it has got the cutting burrs on most edges, seeing that this will be in contact with bearing contact surfaces I will clean it up with a file and then maybe polish. The slot nearest the file point has been touched up already with a file.

20161221_203345-1.jpg
20161221_204149.jpg

Studying it I'm finding that I'm becoming doubtful that @Fabian is correct in saying the area between the crankshaft sleeve and the internal smooth surface is a load bearing surface. The roller bearings make more sense to actually do ANY load bearing since they have the smallest space tolerance from the bell body to the shaft extention, especially under spring tension.
Otherwise the bell is actually just sitting there not moving and only resting its weight on the spinning shaft. When the clutch engages the bell then the whole thing spins as a single unit and so it's not even playing part in taking the power load of the engine through the remainder of the drivetrain.

Anyway, going to finish this filing and move to the next part of the game.

Cool, your definitely a wrench head! It's nice to have tools to do the job.

Cool, your definitely a wrench head! It's nice to have tools to do the job.
Thanks, even as a kid I was tinkering with toys and watches and clock parts and rc vehicles.

The mid size motor hobby is just something I always liked, gained a nice tool collection just for odd jobs and then I realized how much more potential most tools have. All in the leverage you know.

Back