Ya, I can help, it would just help more if people would just stop buying discounted sh*t that is discounted because it's sh*t from the likes of gasbike and bikeberry.

Your mistake was buying a 4-stroke engine with a long straight shaft and no clutch already on it. The best would be the 49-53cc HS -1G engines with a short shaft with a clutch attached, you can use 4G transfer case on that.

Your delima is how to get a bushing to spin free on the moving engine shaft without bearings while under under belt/chain tension on it.

That bronze bushing your clutch bell ride on is called an Oilite Bushing, soak it in 30W oil overnight, it's the only lube it going to get.

Only adjust it (if you even can) to semi a tight belt, get it too tight and it's a constant angular drag on the bushing.

Don't bother with trying to replace the bushing with bearings, been there done that and it was an expensive fail.

photo-82.jpg

All I can suggest is you soak that bushing, and then pack it with grease when you put it in, and of course, get the right engine next time so you can use the trouble free 4G transfer case ;}

Note, anyone dealing with a big HF or Honda engine is faced with this as well, so it can be done well enough, but if you just want just a reliable small 4-stroke, go with the HS 142F-1G and 4G combo, it sure has worked great for me.

Thanks next time I start a new build, I'll consider buying that one.

After looking into this a bit more I see the trying to clean up the surface through grinding is not recommended due to smearing the pours of the material that hold the oil. Heating the oil " 30 wt." to between 80 and 100 deg. c- 176 to 212 deg. f will cut the soak time to 20 min., or put under vacuum and wait for it to stop bubbling.
I think if the bushing looks badly scored I would just replace it. Another thing you might want to consider with this type of drive is having two bushings. One could always be soaking and ready for a swap out at the first signs of seizing. After a while you will get a sense of the interval and catch it before seizing starts. It may become less frequent once the clutch breaks in. Less slipping less heat.

So yea I soaked the brass bushing oil for a day and well, I filed down the inside of the clutch bell :(
Luckily, my friend has the exact same engine and he doesn't know how to put it together and ended up giving up on his bike. I offered him help and he basically just gave me his engine for spare parts. :)
I pretty much switched my messed up clutch with his brand new one. And as of now I have 2 bushings. From his clutch and mine so I'm doing that method where one is soaking and other in use.

After looking into this a bit more I see the trying to clean up the surface through grinding is not recommended due to smearing the pours of the material that hold the oil. Heating the oil " 30 wt." to between 80 and 100 deg. c- 176 to 212 deg. f will cut the soak time to 20 min., or put under vacuum and wait for it to stop bubbling.
I think if the bushing looks badly scored I would just replace it. Another thing you might want to consider with this type of drive is having two bushings. One could always be soaking and ready for a swap out at the first signs of seizing. After a while you will get a sense of the interval and catch it before seizing starts. It may become less frequent once the clutch breaks in. Less slipping less heat.

Thanks for the help!

There are also suppliers on line. Google oilite bushing, that will probably sell bushings of a higher quality than our chinese counter parts. You will just have to check the proper dimentions.

Glad I could help with the Oilite bushing oiling, I never thought of the ideal temperature for soaking but it didn't matter for me, I just have to set the bushing in a tin cup with some oil out in the sun at lunch time, and by dinner time it has soaked in all it's going too ;-}

Such are the benefits of the Az. summers. Oilite, ya dats da woid! Do you by chance know the dimensions of these bushings? If so we could find them in a better quality, and help out some of these guys that are stuck with the 7g.

Back