Centrifugal clutch ?

Sigh...I should have gone with a ready made one for $200. I've already spent more than that and I still haven't put the clutch on, because the guy didn't send me the gear puller! I'm not looking forward to pulling that little cog out...

Most engine kits come with the gear puller. Alot of people just dont recognized it or know what it does. I believe they call it a sprocket puller. If you need a pic Im sure I can find one...

What about centrifugal clutches for belt drive? I'm making my own manual belt-clutch, but if I could find a cheap clutch with a pulley, it might make things easier.

One question, how reliable are these clutches? I always hear about them breaking on go-karts.

I want my bike-trailer to beat the reliability of a car, so that's why I went with a clutching direct belt drive so the only item to replace is a belt. However, if the rotary clutches are good enough, I may change my mind.

The clutches are fine, but the gears have been known to break. They aren't hard to replace, if you have the proper tools. I like the manual clutch, but I can't get going from a stop, which is what I really want!

Ok, just received the gear puller and tried to install the clutch...don't have a @#$#% clue how the stupid thing is supposed to work. It doesn't freewheel like it's supposed to when going forward, it freewheels going BACKWARDS!!! What the heck??
Revolutioncycles.US, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to give your product a huge thumbs down unless you really start giving the customer service! How about some instructions!

Ok, so I got the clutch installed, and it works great! Still, it would be nice to have instructions. Does it have to have oil in it?

No way do not oil a clutch, clutchs need grip, oil will make it slip. Oil in the bearings or something maybe later on but not when its new.

Just be aware that the HT centrifugal clutch also has a one-way bearing (or freewheel) built in so when pedaling the one-way still applies torque to the engine for starting (assuming the regular clutch is engaged) but allows the engine to run at low RPMs with the clutch shoes disengaged from the drivetrain. As far as i can tell with about 50 miles on it and a Sick Bike Parts shift kit it's worked flawlessly starting the bike from a stop easily in first gear.

Last edited:
woudent it just be easier to keep it a roll start because roll start is alot more reliable and ALOT easier.
just a thought

Back