Chain Break substitute

ezrider

Local time
8:54 AM
k2-_c2e1860d-7f0c-45b3-8dbe-d50dcba4d147.v1.jpg-bb0f7d51a12d65d3a459788db6bd400ab5046156-optim-450x450.jpg

Curious if I could use a Shimano Riveting tool as a substitute. Sure would beat grinding, sanding, and punching out the chain link.

you use any old chain breaker, they should all be for rivetting too... hence the multiple slots and adjustable end thingy doodad.

I use my dremel to grind down the riveted part and knock the pins out with a punch. Been doing it like that for over 45 years which is how many years I been working on motorcycles as a living.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Careful though, some of those cheapos wont even break a bicycle chain. I went through a couple before I decided to spend a little more on a park tool chain breaker and I've been usin that for years now. For the 415 chain I use this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...297561?hash=item4aec418819:g:wfgAAOSwxp9W8eI4. This does the job, but there are better ones.
you are very much right harbor freight is hit or miss sometimes tools will live forever but the same tool will last about 2 hours

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back