Chain Breaking

YetiWoodz

Local time
10:23 AM
I put my chain on with the recommended half inch of slack. I live in Pennsylvania, so the harsh weather makes the roads really crappy. There's bumps, crack, potholes, and patches everywhere. All I did was run over a crack and my chain flew into pieces. Is it ok to put my chain on tighter? Any other suggestions?

You know what, I think you're right. The only problem is, to make it looser I have to add 2 more links. An inside and a master. Then it's way too loose even with the chain tensioner raised and close to the back sprocket. But I'll try playing around with it a little more once my new chain delivers.

The stock chain that comes with the kits isn't very good. You could use 415 or if your having issues with adjustments you can use a half link. I personally use kmc 710hl but you'll have to file down the teeth on your chain sprocket a little bit to fit.

You know what, I think you're right. The only problem is, to make it looser I have to add 2 more links. An inside and a master. Then it's way too loose even with the chain tensioner raised and close to the back sprocket. But I'll try playing around with it a little more once my new chain delivers.
Sounds like you could use what's called a half link

Edit Chris beat me to it lol. I use the thinner chain like him also.

There's a lot you can do with those two links worth of space. You can lift the engine up the space of 2 links and use the u-clamps to hold onto your bike instead of just the c-clamps and bolts. Sliding the tensioner has already been mentioned. Moving the wheel back in the drop-outs might be an option. Personally I prefer to raise the engine.

Where did the chain break? If it keeps breaking at the master link you installed you might have the clip backwards. If that clip is a U you always want to closed end of the U feeding into the engine. At least that's what I do.

Put a straight edge against the engine to your rear sprocket. If it makes a straight line, that's good. If not then alignment issues are present. I can stand over my chain and look to see if the links are all parallel.

I'm not sure where it broke. But about 1/3 of the chain links came off into separate pieces, pins out, some links bent.

Back