chain broke 2 times!

Mid Drive Motors are hard on chains and chains break.
When I finally make my Mid Drive E bikes I'm gonna have to carry an extra chain too. For easy installation I'll be using a Master Link

Mid Drive Motors are hard on chains and chains break.
When I finally make my Mid Drive E bikes I'm gonna have to carry an extra chain too. For easy installation I'll be using a Master Link
(I am a little bit mentally confused and sleepy, sorry..)

Are you saying that you expect to use a single speed chain? 🙂
Or that the master link will be easier to install than the quicklink? 🤨

"I think everyone should" just use the narrowest and lightest and most expensive single speed chain,
at least until they get really interested in experimenting and exploring the hobby with weird slightly/somewhat more flexible chains.

Yes, i like the smooth sides on multi speed chain, but I have been taking medications all day and want to be Mr positive attitude and energy. There was nothing wrong with the #410 bmx chain i had been using with differen components.

Last edited:
(I am a little bit mentally confused and sleepy, sorry..)

Are you saying that you expect to use a single speed chain? 🙂
Or that the master link will be easier to install than the quicklink? 🤨

"I think everyone should" just use the narrowest and lightest and most expensive single speed chain,
at least until they get really interested in experimenting and exploring the hobby with weird slightly/somewhat more flexible chains.

Yes, i like the smooth sides on multi speed chain, but I have been taking medications all day and want to be Mr positive attitude and energy. There was nothing wrong with the #410 bmx chain i had been using with differen components.

I've always used master links. The only time I had one pop off was because I installed it backwards.
I've never tried a Quick link. Maybe I should.
My bike has a Nexus 3 speed rear hub so reg size KMC Chain is fine.
I guess I'll find out how long a chain will last or stretch out. I'll carry an extra chain until I figure this out.
From riding M/C all my life I'm used to changing chains.

My chain broke 2wice not even at full throttle. Should I buy a new one or just keep putting it back together each time?
Everything needs to move in a straight line. Check that your sprocket is not bent. If its bent, then take it off and hammer it on a flat hard surface. My chain would constantly break because of that, now I can hit a deep pot hole at 25mph on accident and nothing happens.

If I do that I'll probably get a flat spot on my rear wheel :(
Mm, or have to run the pressure uncomfortably high for a rough road. The Schwalbe System is too expensive.
The concept of a tough/hard, high-pressure tyre trapped inside a large volume soft compound tyre that actually has a little cushioning and some traction is a 'king brilliantly simple and sensible idea though, so how can we make it work? Some are using a solid insert, I think? 🤔🤔🤔

I try to look out and miss any pot holes. I already hit a pot hole @40mph and got a flat spot on a $159 Worksman cycles 11 gauge spoke drum brake clincher rear wheel. I ordered a new clincher rim for $20 from Worksman cycles. I relaced the wheel and it's good as new.
I figure if I was going bicycle speeds 10 to 15 mph nothing would of happened.
A tire or wheel that's resistant to pot hole damage? That's a sharp edge impact. I don't think it can be done.
Cars blow out tires and ruin rims on pot holes every day.

A tire or wheel that's resistant to pot hole damage? That's a sharp edge impact. I don't think it can be done.
Cars blow out tires and ruin rims on pot holes every day.
Dr. Scholl and the Michelin Man make a baby. Behold the orthopedic tire!! 😹

Back