Chain broke- I have no experience with this

jimbojangles

Local time
2:59 AM
So, I just bought my first motorized bike about a month ago and I've been riding it everywhere. The other day my back tire went flat so I went out and bought a new tire and tube because the back tire was bald anyway. I took the back wheel off the bike and replaced the tire and tube, but when putting the wheel back on the bike I was having a bit of trouble. At first the wheel just wasn't spinning, but after adjusting the placement of it, it started spinning fine. So I started up the bike and got about 20-30 feet before I heard a loud metallic snap and that was that.

I guess I'm just looking for advice. I don't know the first thing about fixing it or figuring out what I did wrong. I would like to learn but I don't know where to start.

It's a 49cc motor, not sure what type of chain it was, I can check when I get home from possibly, but I bought the built bike from the guy who did build it on Craigslist, so I don't really know what any of the parts are. If anyone can help me in any way or point me in the direction where I can begin to help myself I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!

Also, I just noticed I can add photos, so if that helps I'd be happy to upload some photos when I get home.

Okay awesome, I will definitely get some replacements. Luckily when I got home I went out into the street and found the piece of the master link that fell off and got the chain back together. But then my problem was aligning the back wheel. I tried for a couple hours and couldn't get it aligned just right, either there would be too much slack in the chain and it would come off the sprocket or the tire would be against the frame. I noticed that a couple of spokes were kind of bowed out and realized that they had broken off down by the axle. So I have a feeling my alignment troubles are due to the back wheel being bent. But again, I don't have any experience so if what I'm saying sounds wrong please let me know!

Okay awesome, I will definitely get some replacements. Luckily when I got home I went out into the street and found the piece of the master link that fell off and got the chain back together. But then my problem was aligning the back wheel. I tried for a couple hours and couldn't get it aligned just right, either there would be too much slack in the chain and it would come off the sprocket or the tire would be against the frame. I noticed that a couple of spokes were kind of bowed out and realized that they had broken off down by the axle. So I have a feeling my alignment troubles are due to the back wheel being bent. But again, I don't have any experience so if what I'm saying sounds wrong please let me know!

I think your on the right track, do you have a chain tensioner?

Also the master link has to be put on the right way, just google it for the direction it needs to be fitted
Basically the link needs to be facing the rotational direction

Also, when you bought the bike from the builder, he most definitely had to cut the chain and have extra links. I am surprise he did not give you these links if not you should ask for them. I think you have like ~1.5 feet of extra chain in most bikes left. You then use these links just for this case. Also you need the correct chain breaker to repair the chain and not the regular bicycle chain breaker. They are around $20. Also, it is rare to break a chain in a new build or relatively new build. Is the chain really dry or over tensioned?

Back