Chain clearance of frame with no tentioner

fatboy67

Local time
10:33 PM
Hi all
I have searched and read up on this but can't quite find the answer I'm looking for
I have now brought a new bike that has some adjustment on the back wheel. If I run no tentioner the chain clears the frame by about 5mm. I'm new to these bikes just wondering if the chain will slap around and cut into the frame or is that amount of clearance enough?? The frame is only Aluminium.
It would be good to hear from others that are running with no chain tentioner.

Last edited by a moderator:
5mm is more than I have with the tensioner.

yer but the tentioner holds the chain more or less in place. I'm just wanting to know if I do it with out the tensioner, how much will the chain flap/move/slap around and will it start to wear a hole in the frame.

i took my tensioner off as well, the 415 chain that came with my kit, clears by about that amount, ( provided, as said above, that i check & adjust, if needed) before each ride. i changed to the 41 chain, (from tractor supply store) i noticed right off that the 41 chain is wider. it started to rub a bit, so i changed back to the 415 chain. but the 41 chain does make a great spare.i'm not sure if the master link from the 41 chain will work with the 415 chain, but if it will the links are 4.00 for a pack of 4.

i took my tensioner off as well, the 415 chain that came with my kit, clears by about that amount, ( provided, as said above, that i check & adjust, if needed) before each ride. i changed to the 41 chain, (from tractor supply store) i noticed right off that the 41 chain is wider. it started to rub a bit, so i changed back to the 415 chain. but the 41 chain does make a great spare.i'm not sure if the master link from the 41 chain will work with the 415 chain, but if it will the links are 4.00 for a pack of 4.

The k910 bmx chain fits good. You need to buy 2 But here in Aus the is a bloke who sells them for $12 each. They are 1/2 x 3/16 real good chain

Thanks to Boltsmissing and some others.

Only one way to find out...and just keep your eye on it.

Yer I suppose I will just suck it and see. The only prob is, once you make the chain at the length for NO tensioner,, it's to sort to decide that you want to use the tensioner,, I think...............Haven't cut the chain as yet. I suppose I could keep the links and put them back.

I use a piece of vinyl hose cable tied on the chain stay where it might rub when going over bumps.

It keeps the frame nice and noise & wear down.

Back