chain dynamo

JerboaJohn

Local time
6:40 AM
thinking about this, seems interesting alternative to hub or friction setups, but it's only 5v/1000mA (@30kmh) and pitched for standard bike chain.
all the dynamos I see are 6v, bcs mostly for only LED lighting. wish I could do something like this in 12v.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
That's pretty neat, haven't seen a dynamo like that before. I think it's way overpriced for being just 5w max tho. The old 12v bottle gennies put out 6w and often more when you spin the bejesus out of em. I've run a pair of 6v 3w gennies and wired them for 12v as well, but when running an engine kit, one must completely isolate the gennies from the frame. I've seen some weird electrical gremlins!

so like a battery, a gen can be wired in series to add voltages? if there's one out, there must be others or soon will be if someone says it's reliable and practical. yeah I don't like $60 for something that can be done for half that,, but I had,'t seen like this either b4

thinking about this, seems interesting alternative to hub or friction setups, but it's only 5v/1000mA (@30kmh) and pitched for standard bike chain.
all the dynamos I see are 6v, bcs mostly for only LED lighting. wish I could do something like this in 12v.

This isn’t Fakebook! Use the damn search. Both sites. Google.

56DB398B-10D5-4581-A055-FA8C7193D460.jpeg

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
thanks for the link tho I'd rather interact with members.

side note: no thanks for the snarkiness.
thats what your local coffee shop is for.

So you’d prefer that people spend their time answering the same questions over and over? Wouldn’t it be better if people used the search (like where you said you’d like a 12v system), then tried it, then made a post ADDING to the knowledge instead of adding to the garbage?

Any dynamo you run designed for a bicycle will blow out your lights on a motorbike. So before posting the thread I would calculate the speed of the pedal chain on a normal bicycle and compare it with the speed of a chain on a motorized bike. If you want me to figure it out for ya I can for a price. Or you can use the search and see that I’ve made a thread, I’ve got a link in my thread to the thread that made me do it...

Instant gratification type questions with no searching is what Fakebook is all about. It even blocks you from making a search at some point if on a mobile device. I bet most people didn’t know that!

Last edited by a moderator:
coffee shop? there's like only 3 mb's in my whole town. chances they go to starbucks = slim lol.
really tho, yes a search can be useful. but I need it in reference to this particular new product so new thread

Shame it only makes 5 volts I wonder if the electronics could be bypassed to source the full voltage AC of the alternator?

Your idler pulley whatsit is taking power by friction anyway so it could be a great idea to make some electricity at the same time. :D
Can a chain driven generator like this be used as the idler pulley whatsit, will it be sturdy and safe?
There are some plastic parts that could be replaced. The "plastic steel" sprocket teeth would be a problem on this one though. :(
Maybe it's still useful to help stabilise the upper run of the chain, so it's at least able to do something more than a dyno hub.

Does the voltage go up with the speed?
If the voltage goes up with speed then they must be using an arbitrary chain speed. If that is assumed to be 5v with an 18T rear sprocket at 18mph then it should generate ~24v with a 40T at 40mph. That would be some considerable voltage. 😁
Would the amperage stay the same?
How efficient is it?

Last edited:
I hate people that just tell others "theres a search bar"

If you ask for help for your particular product you want help with that, and possibly even ask new things.

Back