chain getting bunched up... (help)

crabdance

Local time
12:41 PM
Well last night I tried to start my engine to check and see if a carburetor fix worked. It didn't start on the first time and when I let out the clutch on the second try the back wheels locked up. I carried the bike home on the front wheel, pulled off the clutch cover and had a look. I saw that the chain and bunched up a little left of top center. After working with it for a while, I managed to get it back to the right place again. I didn't take it out again because it was dark by that time.

This morning (a few minutes ago), I took my bike out and wanted to see if it would start and to check my carburetor fix worked. Well, I let out on the clutch to start and you guessed it!... The wheel locked up again. I brought it back home on the front wheel again and opened the clutch face plate. The chain has bunched up in the exact same place as the time before. I tried to move the back tire to force the kink out like last time but it's not working this time. I'm afraid of the amount of force it's going to take to get the kink out.

Has this happened to anyone before? Does anyone know what this means? I would really appreciate any help on this. It's never happened to me before so I don't have any idea of what's going on. Can anyone tell me how to get the kink out other than moving the wheel? How can I stop this from happening again?

Thanks in advance for all the help,
cd

ok.. I feel dumb but I found out what the problem is. My back rim is bent all to heck. That's why my chain kept messing up. Now I have to save up my pennies to get a new 26 inch rim (no idea what they cost)

Thanks for the help everyone. At least I know what the problem is now.

cd

Use a socket and ratchet to turn the drive sprocket back. Doesn't take much force to back the kink out.

Thanks Scott!... I popped it out with a flat head screwdriver after I loosened up my chain tensioner.

Last edited:
new wheel now

Ok, I have a new wheel on the back now and my chain still keeps coming off I had to put it on 4 times yesterday and finally gave up on it. The wheel is not bent but I suppose it's possible it's out of alignment.

The last time the chain came off, I was pedaling the bike to get it up to speed to pop the clutch and before I got to pop the clutch the chain jumped off the sprocket and hung up.

I'm really getting frustrated with this. Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks,
cd

edit: I think that the chain is more loose than it should be

Last edited:
with your chain on.....
roll your bike, with the clutch lever pulled in.....
walk with it....
watch your chain.....
this will tell you a lot.

Follow Dave's instructions. Most likely your chain is too long and has too much slack.

Thanks Dave and Scott. When I got it fixed the last time yesterday, I rolled it with the clutch in and the master link came off. Now the chain is just dangling there. Jim gave me some extra chain and I will see if it has a master link in it that I can use or maybe the whole chain.

Thanks for all the help. Don't know what I would do without you all,
john

Back