Chain Guards

CENTURION

Local time
2:06 PM
Are you using them?or is it just another part to get in the spokes? I shaved .250" off mine and a clearance for the tire, makes for a more finished look. Took it out for about 8 miles today and it seemed to hold fine.

If you install it correctly, its perfectly fine. I'm using mine, the last thing you want is a piece of chain flying into your leg.

Damien has his on his bike. It looks good. I've always just tossed them to the side. I ride with my left foot forward. It's faster.

img_0348-jpg.115366

I ran mine for the first few miles without. Then after reading stories here about broken chains slapping people in the back, i decided to install mine. Custom cut it around the seat stay and it fits just fine with plenty of clearance. only downside for me is chain realignment is more difficult as I can not see what I am doing.

The chain guard goes over the top of the chain? I thought it went to the side on the outside of the frame to keep your cargo and pant legs from getting caught.

I've snapped plenty of chains and never been slapped in the back. I think I learned that when you jump you should hold in the clutch. Or land at least, idunno. I just know I had to jump my bike a few weeks ago and I snapped my chain when I landed. Stupid erosion in the dirt roads...

Are you using them?or is it just another part to get in the spokes? I shaved .250" off mine and a clearance for the tire, makes for a more finished look. Took it out for about 8 miles today and it seemed to hold fine.
I use my pant legs and calves to guard the chain. The softer materials really helps to keep from chewing up the chain. Those metal chain guards will mess up the chain something fierce on contact. My pants and calves give way and slow the velocity of the chain, saving it from destruction.

Yeah, I use it. Notched it slightly for the rear tire clearance. I also used a longer bolt on the case so I could fit a rubber grommet in the bolt hole slot of the chain guard. My first chain guard broke off there. I hope that dampens some of the vibes there.

Back