Chain Help

Rusty_S85

Local time
5:11 AM
Well I need a bit of help on the chain. I cant seem to find in my note pad where I wrote down chain sizes.

I wrote down what chain size I was going to run to match the drive sprocket on the engine and on the driven sprocket on the rear axle.

I wanted to ask what chain is the ones that will work?

I am looking at a 10 tooth steel cog to replace the nylon tensioner wheel and it says its for 410 and 415 HD bicycle chains. Just wondering if that is going to be proper match for my other sprockets or if I am just over thinking this.

It doesn't need to match as long as it isn't wider. And it's fine. And it would have to take the strain of the bump start (and engine braking) if you put it on the engine chain.

KMC K910 Kool Chain is a #415 size, which matches the majority of engine sprockets. No reason you can't grind the sprocket narrower though, if you wanted.

It doesn't need to match as long as it isn't wider. And it's fine. And it would have to take the strain of the bump start (and engine braking) if you put it on the engine chain.

KMC K910 Kool Chain is a #415 size, which matches the majority of engine sprockets. No reason you can't grind the sprocket narrower though, if you wanted.

So 415 is the size that would be the most common then?

I don't know the specs for my Grubee rear drive sprocket and over on Kings Sales I don't see any mention about chain specs for their custom sprockets. I'm still deciding what alternative tooth sprocket I want to have to give a try. But I also don't want any head aches with wrong parts if possible.

I would just wait for another member to join the thread. Someone who has the kings sprockets.

I'm thinking, from the way I'm reading it at least, that break in (ring seating) should be done with a smaller rear sprocket if there's no hill available to resist the engine.

So 415 is the size that would be the most common then?

I don't know the specs for my Grubee rear drive sprocket and over on Kings Sales I don't see any mention about chain specs for their custom sprockets. I'm still deciding what alternative tooth sprocket I want to have to give a try. But I also don't want any head aches with wrong parts if possible.
If you have a 2015 grubee engine the engine sprocket is going to insist on a 415 chain so the rear sprocket won't matter. A 410 won't fit the engine sprocket. It is easy to tell the 410 from the 415 sprockets by the width of the teeth. If your sprocket on order is 410 415 chain will work, and if you just really want to use 410 chain you can order a engine sprocket to accommodate.View media item 60213

If you have a 2015 grubee engine the engine sprocket is going to insist on a 415 chain so the rear sprocket won't matter. A 410 won't fit the engine sprocket. It is easy to tell the 410 from the 415 sprockets by the width of the teeth. If your sprocket on order is 410 415 chain will work, and if you just really want to use 410 chain you can order a engine sprocket to accommodate.View media item 60213

Currently I do not have an engine. I'm trying to piece a list together so I can make my purchase for all associated parts at once vs trying to locate the stuff last minute.

I'm still trying to decide on where to buy the engine. I'm kind of tempted to spend $380 on the MPG-38 engine from CRM. For me $100 to have the crank precision balanced is worth it over me trying to figure it out. $100 doesn't really buy much now a days.

Currently I do not have an engine. I'm trying to piece a list together so I can make my purchase for all associated parts at once vs trying to locate the stuff last minute.

lots of luck with that - usually with anything other than a dead-simple build, lots of stuff fails to fit

lots of luck with that - usually with anything other than a dead-simple build, lots of stuff fails to fit

Oh I know. Ive already got a small little collection of parts that wont work. The stem I bought I cant use it cause I need to raise my spring perch up to level out my link bars on my springer fork so I have a new threadless stem and a 20mm and 15mm spacer coming in for that. The 1 1/8" to 1" headset conversion wouldn't work on this frame so I have that and wont use it, etc.

If possible I would like to eliminate improper parts if at all possible.

So the consensus is 415 or 415HD chain?

I ask because I found a sale going on while supplies last and I can pick up a 415 HD chain that is 55 inches long for $8 on sale. They also got some other stuff I need.

So the consensus is 415 or 415HD chain?

I ask because I found a sale going on while supplies last and I can pick up a 415 HD chain that is 55 inches long for $8 on sale. They also got some other stuff I need.
Gary summed it up, I think. You can use a #410 or #415 chain on a #410 sprocket, but only a #415 on a #415 sprocket. The engine sprocket can be made narrower but it is always a #415 as stock.
What do you prefer? What width rear sprocket can you actually get?

Back