Chain help...

Gee, the pins have always been very tight (I've only shortened a chain without using a chain tool once or twice. I've done it with a chain tool many times). Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've put a lot of miles on a lot of chain over the years and never had one come apart. When using a chain tool to put a chain back together, you can feel it when the pin pops into place. I always assumed that this was just the way it's done.

Gee, the pins have always been very tight (I've only shortened a chain without using a chain tool once or twice. I've done it with a chain tool many times). Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've put a lot of miles on a lot of chain over the years and never had one come apart. When using a chain tool to put a chain back together, you can feel it when the pin pops into place. I always assumed that this was just the way it's done.

I've done the same thing. Either using a bench clamp and a punch to push them out or even just prying the link "8" off with a flathead screwdriver. I've only had a chain pop once last fall and thats because I broke that chain countless times in my testing phase which included the same chain on my MTB then on several engine configurations with my Stingray. Despite all the abuse I put it through it still pulled me about 1000 miles before it let go. Even then, I knew it was going to and I rode it until its death. Just inspect and clean your chain regularly like you would on a motorcycle or bicycle so you can check for loose or bound up links and you'll be fine.

NO, that will never work, not for more than a minute or two. Look, you have a very simple problem, why don't you get another link and try again. I'd bet that I know what you did wrong, pull the link out and look at it very closely. You will notice tiny grooves near the end of the two shafts. Make sure that when you slide that clip that you lost onto the link,you have it in the groves.I think that this was your mistake-it has to be.

I'm a simple man.

I always use a punch...or more accurately, a nailset. I place chin across a barely open bench vise- just enough space for the pin to come out- or on the floor (sometines easier) with a small socket under the link I am removing and drive the pin out. The neat thing about using a punch and not grinding is that I can always drive the pin back in and peen the end over if i need to replace a link or two. If you grind, it's kind of hard to go back.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I found it useing my metal detector. I started my bike today and it runs fine. Alot of fun, faster then my go kart.

Back