chain issues stingray chopper minibike build

kstone

Local time
7:31 PM
sorry if this has been posted before,
but has anyone ever done a predator 212 motor in a OCC stingray chopper?
i built one and it made about 10 successful test runs and then all of a sudden the chain started coming off..
Im wondering if anyone else has a similar setup ?
i believe its the chain bouncing under load and coming off the rear sprocket..
im looking to put on a rear chain guide but its been tough trying to find one that is not too big.

20210309_221330.jpg20201229_145042.jpg

The bottom chain tensioner should be pushing the chain up not down

The bottom chain tensioner should be pushing the chain up not down
I believe that a problem exists with that frame of his...in the first pic, look at where the chain is just under the frame itself...the way that frame has been fashioned and the placement of the chain just under it, could well be a major problem in trying to make the chain behave properly...he also appears to have an upper tensioner as well...very interesting configuration, but looks to be a problematic one...DAMIEN

Last edited:
I believe that a problem exists with that frame of his...in the second pic, look at where the chain is just under the frame itself...they way that frame has been fashioned could well be a major problem in trying to make the chain behave properly...he also appears to have an upper tensioner as well...very interesting configuration, but looks to be a problematic one...DAMIEN

I didn't look that close I now see a rear brake in the way. Yes he's got problem.

Get rid of the rear rim brakes and use a disc brake the chain might fit through the frame with a guide chain roller holding it up

Probably should just loose the top chain tensioner

I didn't look that close I now see a rear brake in the way. Yes he's got problem.

Get rid of the rear rim brakes and use a disc brake the chain might fit through the frame with a guide chain roller holding it up

so.. it was actually above the frame.. i actually got it to work.. the chain would barely contact the brake arm.. but almost never..
but that was when the chain 1st fell off... so i rerouted it below the frame.. I built another one just like it but instead of the predator motor, I used a honda 5HP.. so it sits lower in the frame and all i have is one tension-er on the lower part of the chain in the same manner..
it has not fallen off yet.

initially i didnt have the top one there, but i noticed the chain was bouncing and contacting the rear fender..
Maybe i should just take the top one off and cut the fender some more so the chain can clear it

here is the chopper with the honda motor.
20210131_121959.jpg20210108_163732.jpg20210131_121954.jpg

here is a video of the honda

Back