Chain jam almost lead to a GREAT FALL!! help!

Local time
7:43 PM
Today i was riding, and I got into what my motorcycle friend called "Ninja Mode" when you get so airheaded and thing you can do anything. While traveling down a fairly wide street, the engine chain seized up locking my wheel! Thank God a car was far away from me or else I would have been roadkill. What is a way I can insure both the tension of the chain, and the alignment of the sprocket? I have one bike with a shift kit, and frankly I like it an all but I love the simplicity and power of just a single drive. But It seems a little unsafe. Is there some kind of bracket to safely mount the sprocket? By the way my bike tires were 27" by 1/4 so skidding on those aren't that safe. Not to mention the rims are Totally messed up now.

I use the chain tensioner as a tensioner and guide. I also use a bracket to hold my tensioner to the frame so it won't move.

Do you mind posting some pictures? I have pretty thin rear stays so the tensioner doesnt clamp it tight enought when I tighten it. That is one of the reasons why the chain jamed because it was very slack and got caught in the engine.

Just do like I do. Adjust the motor chain so it's perfect to wheel with no tensioner, then mess with the pedal chain, if you are lucky just a 1/2 link will set you up and you won't need any tensioner like this.

NoTensionerL750.jpg

If you can't get a match with just a little slack in the pedal chain so you can just move the wheel back to tighten the motor chain, put the tensioner on the seldom used pedal side.
Either way, the always moving drive chain is like a motorcycles, it won't screw up and wreck you.

Last edited:
Ahh. I really wish I can do that but I don't have a horizontal drop frame where i can adjust the wheel! Its not like the one in the picture that allows adjusting. Any other alternatives?

In the pic of my bike you can see i added a extra kickstand(does not actually work as a kickstand). The kickstand had a hole for mounting,i mounted the kickstand using a bolt from the tensioner and then clamped the kickstand to the frame,now my tensioner/guide does not move or go into wheel.

You could also use a metal bracket,clamps or screw.

Attachments

• Picture%20015.jpg
    Picture%20015.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 185
I reworked the stock tensioner

This works well for me so far. One draw back I have found is if the this tensioner has more then 3/4 in down play the bike tend to lock on start up.

Attachments

• tensioner.jpg
    tensioner.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 158
To my realization I check my tensioner mount today and I seen that It was Bent downward. So now I gotta make a new tensioner of some sort! Any ideas? Pictures or post. Keep in mind that I have to fit fairly small stays. I was thinking of using a steel or aluminum strap from a junkyard and using a U clamp but where can I get such a small u clamp from?

Back