Chain keeps breaking

So with the wheels, I also go a freewheel cassette. I didn't pay attention and it is the wrong size for the chain used on the 7 speed cassette that it replaced. I asked the seller what size chain fits and he said a KMC 410. Is that the same 410 the engine kit uses? If so, wouldn't a 415 chain fit as well? I have about 30 feet of 415 chain laying around.
So if it's a single speed free wheel sprocket that they sent you then yes the 415 chain will work.I would just get KMC 410 or 710, but if you have the 415 just laying around you can use it and save some money. I believe KC use to say it's kinda like using a ship anchor on a row boat.

I don't think the OP is intending to pedal at all, except to start the engine.
He's discarded a derailleur and seven speed freewheel cluster and opted for a single speed freewheel sprocket.

He must have a lot of confidence in his engine. 😏

My personal opinion is that 41 410 and 415 are way to thick and heavy and cause way more problems. I use kmc hl710 half link chain, it's super strong and being half link it's easy to get the perfect adjustment.

410 is regular BMX chain tho, it's actually slightly lighter than HL710. Maybe you're thinking of 410H?

No doubt that HL chains make adjustment easier tho. They work really well on jackshafts and small sprockets.

Well the 415h chain I have worked. There are about 5 master links holding it together but it works and holds. The chain breaking issue is moot now... My drive gear is screwed. I'll be tearing it apart this weekend.

Damnit, I knew I should have never posted in this thread. Caught the chain break fever... Snapped my chain in 2 places doing about 30mph earlier. Looks like it bound up in the motor then the raw momentum of a combined 250lbs spun the clamshell adapter before the chain went kablooey. I'm thinking it was from not changing the chain when it was obviously stretched. Luckily it was only the stock chain and not my #41 so I might be able to get the wheel straight enough to use since no spokes broke, only bent a little* so I may be able to dick with spoke tension to fix it. Can't really afford the $35 at the moment to get another refurb wheel from the local shop.

*they bent so much I have no clue how none broke....

Damnit, I knew I should have never posted in this thread. Caught the chain break fever... Snapped my chain in 2 places doing about 30mph earlier. Looks like it bound up in the motor then the raw momentum of a combined 250lbs spun the clamshell adapter before the chain went kablooey. I'm thinking it was from not changing the chain when it was obviously stretched. Luckily it was only the stock chain and not my #41 so I might be able to get the wheel straight enough to use since no spokes broke, only bent a little* so I may be able to dick with spoke tension to fix it. Can't really afford the $35 at the moment to get another refurb wheel from the local shop.
*they bent so much I have no clue how none broke....
Sounds like you are going to have a rear wheel failure soon. Fill all the empty space where your output sprocket is with jb-weld to prevent the chain from binding on your output sprocket. Replace your bent spokes.

Back