Chains Chain keeps catching!

slimshady

Local time
6:45 AM
Hi, I'm relatively new to this world of motorized bicycles, and was wondering if anyone has any advice on why my bicycle's chain keep catching inside of the engine's drive sprocket chamber. The chain is currently very very loose and I plan on fixing that with a tensioner , but could there be any other reason for the catch?

Thanks -- Slimshady :devilish:

The chain is catching because it has slack in it. I had this same problem when I was trailing a spring chain tensioner. The spring chain tensioner left too much slack in the chain and each time I went to start the bike the chain would get caught in between the sprocket and the engine casing locking up the back wheel.

To remove the caught chain use a screw driver to pry the chain away from the sprocket. Remember that if this happens while you are out riding (like it did to me) you are pretty stuck unless you have a screwdriver or some other sharp object. Luckily I had a set of keys on me and this was enough to pry it free so that I could ride home.

I went back to the standard type of tensioner and haven't had any problems since. I'm not sure what the correct tension is for a chain but you don't want to leave too much slack in it and you also don't want to over tension it.

check your alignment between the drive sprocket and the wheel sprocket, and or pull your chain off check to see if you have any bent links also check the trueness on the wheel sprocket this has happend to my friends bike

Thanks for all the help. What do you guys think about running a bike without a chain tensioner and instead using a half link? Also, anyone have opinions about using a #41 chain and where to get a chain breaker for a chain that big?

Thanks -- Slimshady :devilish:

you don't neccesarily need a chain breaker.
you can use a grinder (or a demel tool with a grinding wheel) to gring down the tops of the pins on the link.
the pins are mushroomed at the top, which holds the links together.
grind down the top of the pin, and use a hammer and punch to drive the pin out.
once a pin has been ground down, it can no longer be used.

tension it with 1/2" of slack,any more can give you problems,like youre having now.
my chain broke a side plate and jammed in the case,in turn breaking it.
trashed the case,i welded it,dont know how its going to hold up.havent tried it yet.
the tensioner need to be properly aligned,and fastened securely.

Back