Chain Link Remover

Grinding down the end with a dremel isn't as easy as it sounds. I tried this and still didn't think I was going to ever get it apart. I've never had such a hard time taking a chain apart as I did with the one that came with my HT kit.

In the past I used a grinding stone -- on a drill or bench. Not the best - but in times of need - it works. After grinding down - still has to be punched through. Should not take more than 5 min with proper tools - at least on the second try. Today I perfer a chain tool. A bicycle shop - or motor cycle shop will break it for you - for a small charge - better not to roam - do it at home. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

With a hammer, punch, and Die Grinder; I can break a chain in less then a min... got to use the right tools, knowing how to use the tool helps sometimes.

I recently purchased a Park CT-3 from my local bike shop. I spent 35, which I see as a worthwhile investment.

http://www.treefortbikes.com/282_333222336008__CT-3-Chain-Tool.html

It works great - the important part of a chain tool with these chains is the pointed tip on the chain breaker.

The CT-7, though, I would probably reccomend, similar to the one above but specifically meant for fat chain.

http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Chain-Breaker-Park-Ct-7/dp/B000VY31BA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1217375707&sr=8-8

I must have spent hours messing with the chain and a crappy chain breaker! - Please save yourself the sanity!

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
So you don't like my breaking method. Okay to each their own. These tools from McMaster will help. Everything you need to perform proper chain maint and repair. Professional quality, industrial strength for a good price.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Part number: 6051K15
Easy-Grip Roller Chain Breakers size 21-60; very easy breaker to use, hardened steel and I believe this model has a replaceable tip.
Price: $21.60

Part number: 6052K14
Roller Chain Holders size 35-60
This is a great tool; it will hold and stretch the chain allowing two handed install of master link. A zip tie will work but this tool is far better. No more half links!
Price: $18.17

Part number: 6159K11
Chain Lubricants
No more WD/40. Use this lube for your chain and cables. Wd is bad for chain and cables but this stuff rocks. A little pricey for lube but well worth it.
Price: $15.95

Last edited by a moderator:
Park Tool ct-7

+ infinity

there is nothing like having the right tool. it's perfect. the ct-5 is cheaper but I wasn't sure it would fit the big chain. ebay buildyourbike or something is a good deal-a little less than retail and no gas to find it.

ok this has worked surprisingly well for me first if you have a bench vise take a a very small socket and place it under the pin the take a nail punch and insert the whole thing into the vise turn the vise slowly and the pin will just pop out with out the vise just use a hammer and push the pin out into the socket
with the punch and hammer

Back