Chain Locking

CrispyLeaves98

Local time
5:05 PM
Hello! It's been a while since i've been on these fourms, thought I figured it all out.

I know this probably doesnt coorelate to it but I put a new carbuerator on my YD100, and when im driving the bike, the chain keeps clicking, like its out of place or something is on the chain, I made sure my wheel and sprocket were true, there is perfect chain tension, and my tensioner isnt loose. If i have the clutch pulled in just a little bit it stops the clicking, but if its fully engaged, so like the motor is fully pulling the chain, then the chain starts clicking, and its too dangerous to ride, sometimes rather than clicking, the chain just straight up locks inside the motor, and its not like the chain gets stuck or there is an extra link in the case, all It does is make it so if i just barley move the rear wheel it unlocks, like with no force at all. This is a brand new issue, and yes, i did use chainlube my chain isnt rusty or anything. Its pretty complicated because for the past 4 months ive been running the same exact chain, tensioner, and sprocket. Any info would be helpful!

Have you removed the chain and examined both of the sprockets for wear?

Have you looked under the right side cover and examined the gears in there?

Chain suck? Make sure your chain rollers fit into all the sprocket slots all the way. Cheap sprockets can have different size slots where a chain rides high. I had a bike doing that and I attributed it to a weak derailleur spring and the gears not adjusted properly to each cassette. Fixed those issues and it never happened again on that bike. Isolate the clicking that should lead you to the issue.

Sounds like a tight chain issue. When it clicks and locks is the chain super tight or loose?

When my chain is over tight and binding I get a clickity click click and it feels like it is binding.

The reason I mentioned the chain getting tight even though you said everything is trued and tensioned...

I had to bunny hop over an unexpected obstacle. An 8" wide trench across a dirt road. When I did that my chain broke and I bent my axle. I repaired the chain (I thought). But every once in a while, the chain would bind and get mechanically tight, I mean more tight than a human could make it on their own. After examination, I found a link that had a slight deformation, the side would catch and ride up on the tooth effectively increasing my chain tension to the point of lock up.

The reason I mentioned the chain getting tight even though you said everything is trued and tensioned...

I had to bunny hop over an unexpected obstacle. An 8" wide trench across a dirt road. When I did that my chain broke and I bent my axle. I repaired the chain (I thought). But every once in a while, the chain would bind and get mechanically tight, I mean more tight than a human could make it on their own. After examination, I found a link that had a slight deformation, the side would catch and ride up on the tooth effectively increasing my chain tension to the point of lock up.
Always pull your clutch in when doing jumps. It will save your drive chain parts and spokes and rims. I know this as fact, I used to jump these bikes off walls and trucks. I've destroyed many a rim and chains. It started costing me to much in rims, so I stopped stunt MB'n. Was fun for the time though. But yes always pull in the clutch before a hop or jump until after landing, or have the gas ready to match speeds fast, that takes some practice. It will help keep from damaging the drive components, by carrying the momentum of the bike instead of a jerk and pull on the parts.

Always pull your clutch in when doing jumps. It will save your drive chain parts and spokes and rims. I know this as fact, I used to jump these bikes off walls and trucks. I've destroyed many a rim and chains. It started costing me to much in rims, so I stopped stunt MB'n. Was fun for the time though. But yes always pull in the clutch before a hop or jump until after landing, or have the gas ready to match speeds fast, that takes some practice. It will help keep from damaging the drive components, by carrying the momentum of the bike instead of a jerk and pull on the parts.
Yeah I was trying to land it just right so I'd get that superboost like in Excitebike!

Back