chain noise ??

knottsoljah

Local time
12:48 AM
OK i've done the search and keep getting chain rubbing results. My question is When the clutch is disengaged and I wasn to ride the bike like a bike I get chain rubbing noise in the clutch housing, is this normal. I'd like to ride noise free. :)

There is always going to be some noise from the chain. Is the chain rubbing against the frame when the bike is at any angle. Are you using a chain tensioner. What frame are you using; because if you can run the chain without a chain tensioner there will be a lot less noise. I don't know about cruiser frames but I run without a chain tensioner on my late 90's mountain bike.

It's normal and as long as it's not excessive you'll just have to put up with it like the rest of us poor/unfortunate bums. ;)

The chain isnt rubbing anywhere on the bike , fender or tire, just rubbing inside the clutch housing. Its fine when you cant hear it over the engine and all but when I want to cruising down the bike path I dont want to hear that sound. Now I have to get another bike ;) Im sure that excuse will go over well at home.

If it's rubbing against anything metal badly you'll soon know about it (really bad chain wear) It's probably just the normal noise that these engines make.

BSA

Oil that chain often. I hear you can use a BMX chain. That should lessen the noise some. May have to grind down some of the sprocket from what I've read here or maybe not at all. You'll have to fit it yourself to be sure.

Oil that chain often. I hear you can use a BMX chain. That should lessen the noise some. May have to grind down some of the sprocket from what I've read here or maybe not at all. You'll have to fit it yourself to be sure.

Great advice. My newest engine had uneven sized teeth on the drive (front) sprocket. After grinding, lube, and a 10 mile ride it got much quieter.

Back