Chain problem "PLEASE HELP"

B

bornagain

Heres my bike http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o211/bornagain1/DSCI0002.jpg

I have adjusted my chain with the tensioner but when I pedal the chain manually it gets very tight at one certain point. If I loosen the tensioner I then get a lose chain with only one point which is tensioned properly. The rear sprocket is centered properly, what could it be. So at the moment the chain tension is perfect apart from one part which has no play at all. Could my chain snap? Could this cause any problems? Any ideas what could be causing this?

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem has to be that your rear sprocket is not centered on the wheel. Nothing else could cause this situation.

Check it by holding a reference like a pencil or screwdriver against the frame with the point very close to the teeth of the rear sprocket. Without moving the reference, turn the rear wheel and observe the gap between the reference and the teeth of the sprocket. I'm sure you'll find that the gap changes as you rotate the wheel. It doesn't take much misalignment to affect chain tension.

Also check for stiff chain links and the chain not fitting all the way into the sprocket.

Also check for stiff chain links and the chain not fitting all the way into the sprocket.

After refitting the sprocket it's still doing it, I think it probably is a stiff link somewhere. Will this cause any problems going tight to loose all the time? The loosest part is about an inch play along the top of the chain if I move it up and down.

After refitting the sprocket it's still doing it, I think it probably is a stiff link somewhere. Will this cause any problems going tight to loose all the time? The loosest part is about an inch play along the top of the chain if I move it up and down.

To answer you question: Yes tight to loose can cause problems. When tight the chain will stretch more and when loose you risk either chain coming off the rear sprocket or getting jammed in the front sprocket.

I had to replace a wheel for a friend this past weekend and it took me three tries to get the sprocket right. Like azkronic stated even a 1/16 of an inch out will cause problems.

Also make 100% sure that the chain is as tight as possible as slack is often transported around on the chain creating oscillation.

BSA

Hey guys, I'm having a similar problem of chain seizure. My rear sprocket is lined up and coplanar etc. The chain runs through and eventually locks up solid at the engine drive socket. It seems as though one link is too small to slide over the tooth and rides up and slams against the engine cover...

Is it possible to have a defective link?
What is a stiff link and how do i fix it?
I am considering having the link taken out at a lawnmower shop and getting another masterlink..

Try using a BMX chain. I never use master links. That's just my personal preference.
I use a chain cutter and keep it in my tool pouch with some links of chain.

Back