Chain problems, ALWAYS chain problems

The sprocket might be mounted off center or it was made off center.

Measure the hole in your sprocket it should be exactly in the center, If your sprocket is OK. Then it's probably how ya got it mounted

You should be able to check for a centered sprocket while it's on your bike.
Take the chain off and spin the wheel. By holding a stick up to the sprocket edge you should be able to tell if it's centered or not.

The sprocket might be mounted off center or it was made off center.

Measure the hole in your sprocket it should be exactly in the center, If your sprocket is OK. Then it's probably how ya got it mounted

You should be able to check for a centered sprocket while it's on your bike.
Take the chain off and spin the wheel. By holding a stick up to the sprocket edge you should be able to tell if it's centered or not.
You can see on post #11 pic 2 that he has 6 floating bolts on the mag wheel, and they are already jenked up.

Last edited:
Dang that’s some stuff right there! I’ll add some spacers on it as well and go from there too. Thanks for your time writing all that out! @bike4life

I’m also going to use higher grade bolts, and a new sprocket and see how that goes.

I think I found it once and for all. The mag wheel threads were drilled off center in a few spots, causing whatever I mount up to be off centered. Picture 1 is the new sprocket mounted with new bolts and washers. Picture 2 is of just the hub, showing off center drilled holes, picture 3 is a normal mag wheel from my other bike without issues. After spending that amount of money on rims you’d think they’d be done properly...

Attachments

• 21E50278-439D-44F4-AECE-C9A0934131C9.jpeg
    21E50278-439D-44F4-AECE-C9A0934131C9.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 550786B9-F2F7-49DB-967C-B05D6CCA4575.jpeg
    550786B9-F2F7-49DB-967C-B05D6CCA4575.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 199
  • B61576FE-649F-4662-8713-072AE44B223A.jpeg
    B61576FE-649F-4662-8713-072AE44B223A.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 196
I think I found it once and for all. The mag wheel threads were drilled off center in a few spots, causing whatever I mount up to be off centered. Picture 1 is the new sprocket mounted with new bolts and washers. Picture 2 is of just the hub, showing off center drilled holes, picture 3 is a normal mag wheel from my other bike without issues. After spending that amount of money on rims you’d think they’d be done properly...
The wheel sprocket mounting holes were drilled off center. Are ya sure?
Mount the sprocket and measure from sprocket edge to rim edge in 5 places to check if it really is the manufactures fault.
Did you check your wheel hub bearings? That could be the real problem.

Bearings are heavily seized wow. Not sure why I didn’t notice that before putting those on. Also the sprocket is most certainly off center. It’s 2mm closer to the right side than the left.. so looks like a double shafted problem lol.

the bolts however are still straight and sprocket seems fine.

Bearings are heavily seized wow. Not sure why I didn’t notice that before putting those on. Also the sprocket is most certainly off center. It’s 2mm closer to the right side than the left.. so looks like a double shafted problem lol.

bolts prolly straight cause they didnt undergo plastic deformation. only elastic...

Also I did I slapped on my 26” today just to test it out and it rides fine with minimal chugging. So either way something was up with that 29” wheel. Same bolts, same sprocket, same chain. Just swapped out that dumb wheel lol. Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate all the comments and advice!

Attachments

• AFC5E003-E1F8-4008-A242-AF8E0C5ACE1E.jpeg
    AFC5E003-E1F8-4008-A242-AF8E0C5ACE1E.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 223

Did you just buy that rear Mag wheel within the last 90 days ? If so you should probably ask for a replacement wheel

Back