Chain rubbing?

M

Member 28982

I noticed the chain was close to the chain stay upon installation. Its been rubbing and in afraid it'll rub it till there is a hole and the integrity of frame will fail.
The chain has already snapped and I have two Master links in the chain
Is there something I can wrap around chain stay to protect it and the chain rubbing it

Attachments

• 20181102_100652.jpg
    20181102_100652.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 581
See if you can put the tensioner on top if your frame is angle on the bottom. Or try moving the tensioner closer. More pics?

yeah, if you can get tensioner closer to sprocket, it should clear frame - maybe put in a 1/2 link

Best would be as crassius said. If that doesn't fix it, you could possibly turn the sprocket dish inwards if it doesn't miss-align your chain too much. Also put your tensioner in a vise and twist it slightly so it is straight while on your chainstay. You are definitely correct on it being bad if your chain chainsaws your frame, would be scary having my frame break at high speeds.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The back rim got bent pretty bad yesterday. So when I take that off today I'll get more pics.
But it's rubbing on that bottom chainstay on the left side if you're looking at the bike from the back.
I'm wondering if there is some sort of material Maybe a kick plate similar to what we use to protect electrical wiring in homes, maybe I can find something like that that will wrap around that chain stay.
yeah, if you can get tensioner closer to sprocket, it should clear frame - maybe put in a 1/2 link
I tried that and the chain kept coming off of the sprocket towards the spokes side and wedging between the sprocket and spokes. I noticed that when I put the motor on the bike

also, if you're not up for doing the work with tensioner, you can try to stuff a thick washer an each side of axle to spread frame a bit, but doing it with tensioner is best

if rim is already bent, you can dish tire over to one side, then shift axle so sprocket is away from frame, but that can be hard for some folks

That rim came with the bike, it was inevitable for it to fail and get bent. Had nothing to do with what the chain is doing, I ran over something in the road going pretty fast and now that back wheel has a wobble. I have an extra rim that I had replaced on the Schwinn that I had, before The Frame broke in three spots.
I just have to go pick up some pumpkin orange and black paint. I already taped off everything.

Back