Chain rubbing?

Isn't there something I can wrap around that bottom chainstay that will protect it from the chain itself and is it possible for the chain to rub that to a point where there's a hole in it?
Would some other material protect it better? If I can't fix the rub with the chain tensioner.

is it possible for the chain to rub that to a point where there's a hole in it?
Yes, it will make a hole. Currently helping a friend swap over his parts to a new frame because of this exact thing. Worst part was he didn't notice it (he's kinda old and eyes are failing some), I had to point it out to him. Was a quarter way through the chain and seat stays. He wanted to keep riding it as is, but I managed to explain how bad of an idea that was.

have seen folks put heavy steel there, but it pushed chain out of line a bit and over time chews up the pins in the chain

I think that's how one of my links broke or snapped. I had to put another Master clip in that chain so now there's two Master clips. LOL.
I was thinking of something a little bit more durable than aluminum , maybe galvanized steel piping? but I know overtime I'll probably have to replace it like a Band-Aid periodically.
I just don't think I can get the chain properly aligned without it rubbing the chain stay and not being in line with rear sprocket.. With the type of tensioner I have.

Attachments

• 15411868434438417376893508498530.jpg
    15411868434438417376893508498530.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 138
Or maybe some sort of durable Teflon, rubbery or silicone material that won't damage the chain

It's weird, sprocket is inward. I flipped it outward and that's what caused chain to wedge between the sprocket and the spokes when I tried that

can't believe looking closely at it wouldn't suggest a fix, but if there were no other way, I'd put a dent in frame right there to clear chain

Last edited:
can't believe looking closely at it wouldn't suggest a fix, but if there were no other way, I'd out a dent in frame right there to clear chain
Didnt think of that. So just hit it really hard right there with like a framing hammer but not a sledgehammer. Idk if I could "dent" that area. It's steel. Without tweaking some other part of the frame while doing it.

Bro a lot of people have built on the frame you are using. If your tensioner was mounted right in front of the place it is rubbing it will clear the stay. You just have it to far forward. You may have to put a slight twist in the tensioner bracket to line up with the chain well enough that the M link doesn't catch the roller as it passed and you might have to take a hammer to the bowed area of the bracket to take some of the arch out of it to get it to bite well on the stay, but it will work.

Back