Chains Chain size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rear sprocket you are looking at is .250 so it will work with the #41, the 40 will also fit but will have a little play on the rear sprocket.

Last edited:
Cool, now I need that hub adapter with a 50 tooth sprocket .

Why is everyone going larger?
There is no way you are going to break 410 chain at 1600 lbs breaking strength.
Better brands like Tsubaki have better strength and life than any farm supply chain.
It is an extra half pound you don't really need.

Is there something I am missing? Or is it the standard male "bigger is better" syndrome?

Steve

The kit chain is weak, I've broke several. The 41 on the other hand is bullet proof and available right up the sreet.

Last edited:
Greg, I think if you just bought good quality chain in the stock size you would be happy.
The advantage is not in the size but the quality, plus the proper sized chain fits the sprocket.
410 or #43 chain from your same supplier would last as long as the 41 chain.
There are different qualities of chain with the stuff in the kit being at the bottom of the heap.
I am guessing your breaks were from manufacturer's defects?

In terms of quality from worst to best:
- cheap kit chain or from discount stores - loose links and plates, inconsistent spacing, rolled strip rollers
- farm supply or hardware store chain - "value priced", wears fast but does meet strength standards
- industrial grade - consistent quality, long wearing, still prone to rust
- Bike or motorcycle shops have the best chain. Rust resistant, long lasting and "O" ring types.

This broken chain below is on a good quality DID chain that was rusted and stiff (and 50hp).
225869_10150236711910803_173450_n.jpg

For each his own, I've been using the same chain for five years now with no problems. If it ever wears out I'll replace it.

I know chains, I worked in the industrial maintenance field for 34 years. I know what does and doesn't last, I chose a chain by 1. Was good enough for my needs. 2. It was available locally.

What about the clutch sprocket, can ya put one on it for a 410 chain or do ya have to face it off?
No one seems to interested in the build so I don`t know wether to post a build thread or not.

I like how my 4 stroke has a little chain in its transfer box and all the power goes to it then to a bigger chain to the wheel so I could ran that small chain the hole way it shouldn't brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back