Chain slack/tightness?

Lunatuck

Local time
10:42 AM
I see that it's suggested to have about 1/2" of slack in the chain for proper tension. Does that mean that when the chain is tight, I can move it up and down by about 1/2" to 1"? Or does it mean that when looking, but not touching the chain, it should drop about 1/2" from the centerpoint between the tops of the sprockets?

I've been using the first method, and to me, this means the chain is very tight. I couldn't see getting it tighter without some struggle.

I see that it's suggested to have about 1/2" of slack in the chain for proper tension. Does that mean that when the chain is tight, I can move it up and down by about 1/2" to 1"? Or does it mean that when looking, but not touching the chain, it should drop about 1/2" from the centerpoint between the tops of the sprockets?

I've been using the first method, and to me, this means the chain is very tight. I couldn't see getting it tighter without some struggle.
Your chain is ok as long as it's in the tension wheel if you can lift up on it pull it over the tension wheel then it's too lose enough slack inside the wheel it does not pull over but not tight to bind it.

Back