Chain Tensioner Chain tensioner and derailleur redundant?

Greg Ulrich

Local time
3:47 AM
I plan on mounting a HT 49 to a Kulana Moon Dog and I've heard about the nightmare stories involving the chain tensioner. I like the spring loaded idea

http://motorbicycling.com/f30/motorized-bicycle-spring-loaded-chain-tensioner-1128.html

and then it dawned on me. The Moon Dog has a derailleur. If the purpose of the tensioner is to keep the MB chain taut and even with the bicycle chain, is the tensioner really needed?

I should say this is my first post and I've checked the previous posts but still have not found my exact answer.

If you can get your sprocket "perfectly" aligned, and match your MB chain to the same setting that keeps your bicycle chain taut I wouldnt think you would need a tensioner. I could not so the MB chain was going tight, loose. I didnt believe this was good for the bearings in the motor or rear axel. I have a couple hundred miles on this setup and love it, so much quieter, and no where near the spokes!!!!!

Thanks for the reply. I called around yesterday to Tractor Supply Company with those part numbers. They couldn't find in the online store so they transfered me to the nearest brick-and-morter location which is around 3 hours from where I live and unfortunately those parts aren't something they regularly carry. The guy I spoke with said he was going to see about special ordering the parts from Baja Motor Sports and shipping them to me.

I figure I will buy it just in case I need it. I like the "less is more" approach better though, it's just less that can go wrong.

yea I looked on Baja Motor Sports website and dont see it listed, and went to TSC monday and they didnt have anymore on the shelf. Possibly something they ordered for someone that bought one of their ATV's and didnt pickup... My gain...

Tonight I got the arm with roller at TSC (already had a roller, so I have an extra). They did not have the spring, but I think I can handle that.

Tonight I got the arm with roller at TSC (already had a roller, so I have an extra). They did not have the spring, but I think I can handle that.

I didnt like the spring I got with the tensioner, I ended up heating and shaping a section of a large gate spring I got at the Home Depot. I looked all over and couldnt find any "torsion" springs locally..

I didnt like the spring I got with the tensioner, I ended up heating and shaping a section of a large gate spring I got at the Home Depot. I looked all over and couldnt find any "torsion" springs locally..

Misteright, what was wrong with the spring that came with it? By "shaping a section" do you mean shortening the spring and bending new hooks to fit?

Do you know which Baja Motorsports model the tensioner came from. They have a few different models of mini bikes and I'm not sure if the parts differ. You wouldn't think so but there's always a chance.

Excellent! Thanks for the heads up.

The only thing I think I will do different fron you is that I am going to use solid 3/8" round stock and I will cut the threads in where needed- I just love using my die set.

Back