Chain tensioner bracket is too large for the frame.

Eden

Local time
5:42 PM
Hi, I have a 20" Schwinn Stingray Bicycle. I have successfully installed every aspect of the 2 stroke engine kit I purchased off eBay onto my bike... except the chain tensioner. It is the stock one that came with the kit.
  • I have tried putting it onto the frame, only to fail time and time again. It fits loosely on the frame, even when tightened.
  • I have tried various methods to allow it to fit on the frame, including placing metal (up to multiple layers), rubber pads and even hard plastic, but no matter what, the power and force of the chain always manages to make the tensioner move inwards and onto my tyre, causing the chain to fall of the sprocket and stall my bike.
  • Recently, I tightened the bolts so far that they snapped from the pressure.
I need to find a way to either make it stay on without moving.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Attachments

• 2_TensionerBad.jpg
    2_TensionerBad.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 616
  • download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 258
I would try it with no tensioner at all.. Looks like there is clearance at the chainstay. You will probably need to buy a half link to get the tension reasonably good on both chains. The kit chain will stretch anyway. You don't want the tensioner getting dragged into your spokes. Maybe you can use the/a tensioner to push the return side of the pedal chain down or pull it up, there is less power going through that chain.

have you try wrapping an old tire tube around it? make sure it is oversized so when you tighten there is a lot of room to spare. you can also try duck tape. again oversize and tightened

hammer the curve in it a bit flatter, then saw about 2 inches off an old handle bar and split that into 2 "C" shaped sections to put under the mount (hammer these a bit flatter if needed) - tighten with good steel bolts (I use 10.9 grade)

After using whatever needed to get it to fit tightly to your frame use a self tapping screw or drill a small hole through the tensioner and frame and bolt that sucker up. Should keep it in place.

I would try it with no tensioner at all.. Looks like there is clearance at the chainstay. You will probably need to buy a half link to get the tension reasonably good on both chains. The kit chain will stretch anyway. You don't want the tensioner getting dragged into your spokes. Maybe you can use the/a tensioner to push the return side of the pedal chain down or pull it up, there is less power going through that chain.
Thanks for the answer. We have tried without but there is so little clearance that it drags on the frame and/or the tyre. Only at a very tight tension will it clear it and only with the tensioner pulling it out of the way. Thank you though.

have you try wrapping an old tire tube around it? make sure it is oversized so when you tighten there is a lot of room to spare. you can also try duck tape. again oversize and tightened
We did try that yes. We tightened it a number of times with rubber, etc and it just kept pulling out of alignment. We got to the point where we tightened so much that the bolt for the tensioner sheared in half! Thanks though

T
After using whatever needed to get it to fit tightly to your frame use a self tapping screw or drill a small hole through the tensioner and frame and bolt that sucker up. Should keep it in place.
Thank you but the frame is very small and any hole will make it too weak in my opinion.

Back