chain tensioner - chinesium design, any fix?

I have that spring tensioner. I got it at first because I was worried about the one that comes with the kit falling into my tire. The tensioner does not do a good job unless you got the chain pretty exact. I still use it as a secondary tensioner.

You can also adjust your engine mounting position, placing washers between the rear mount block and the engine case. That will bring your engine forward (compare to pulling the tire back 1/4"), and probably higher, giving that spring tensioner a better angle to work with.

After experience, the kit tensioner is fine and I no longer have a fear of it causing my demise.
i managed to shorten the chain one link by doing it with the tire off slid forward, but now the chain rubs agains the frame and falls off the sprocket.

well, i scrapped the idea of a spring tensioner. now, i think i'm gonna make a "original" design from this spring-tensioned one as the original one i have is mounted on another bike.

any suggestions on how to design it? (in a way it would be better than the original)?

Try a stronger spring... A tensioner close to the rear sprocket is going to be a better option... The 4 bolt type with grade 8 bolts... A bearing type wheel...
well i noticed another issue now that i managed to shorten the chain. being that this tensioner is in a fixed position i can't really adjust the angle....

how about original + spring tensioner like i suggested? i think it would be a good combo, the original one will guide the chain so it's aligned and it will provide some tension

while the spring will give it tension in the spots where the chain is looser

well i noticed another issue now that i managed to shorten the chain. being that this tensioner is in a fixed position i can't really adjust the angle....

how about original + spring tensioner like i suggested? i think it would be a good combo, the original one will guide the chain so it's aligned and it will provide some tension

while the spring will give it tension in the spots where the chain is looser
The chain shouldn't get tight then loosen... Rear sprocket might not be centered or the chain could have a bind in it...

The chain shouldn't get tight then loosen... Rear sprocket might not be centered or the chain could have a bind in it...
every single chain i worked with has tight spot, i hear many people saying what you're saying...

i've had many motorcycles (es: bmw f650, monster 620, benelli 125 etc) as well as bicycles, even when new the chains ALWAYS have a tight spot

now i'm not saying your's can't be all even, i guess you got lucky and i didn't?

but as far as i've remember i've never worked with a chain that has the same tension all around... and on motorcycle's there isn't really room for error when it comes to centering the sprocket etc.

as far as the rear sprocket not being centered, it probably isn't perfect, it's as perfect as i could get it with the tools i have, but i can tell ya it's not a lot, there is much more tight spots in my bmw f650 chain, the chain and sprocket practically look new, but say in one spot i'll have 20mm of slack, if i turn the wheel in another i'll have 30mm of slack

on the motorized bicycle it's definitely less as the chain is new, but it's still there to a degree.

i'd like to her y'all's opinion on this. does your chain have tight spots guys??

It isn't the chain with "tight/loose" spots. It is the sprockets turning them being off center / out of alignment. If you are having issues where your chain gets too tight, then too loose, most likely your issue is in your rear sprocket.
all chains get tight spots

besides, it isn't really an issue, unless it's to some extreme extent where the chain is getting so loose in some spots where it falls off the sprocket

Because the sprockets are not perfectly round or they are off-center. Chains are not longer in some parts and shorter in others.
if you had off-centered sprocket on a motorcycle i think you'd have much bigger things to worry about than the chain....

but i reiterate absolutely all chains get tight spots, no matter how perfect your sprocket is centered and round...

ask any reputable motorcycle mechanic... chain links stretch and will never stretch at the same rate due to many factors....

you got it man. I guess we should be the ones asking the questions here
lmao, really? i'm sorry for hurting your feeling for pointing out something factually correct.

there is always gonna be that one guy on online forums.

but i guess you know better than any mechanic in the world.... since every mechanic would give you the same answer lol.

it really sucks when people get so confrontational when someone points out they're wrong.

this isn't even an argument, chains stretch and will never do so 100% evenly period. if you have a constructive argument to why you oppose this claim go ahead.

Back