chain tensioner - chinesium design, any fix?

My feelings aren't hurt dude. I'm just trying to share some knowledge. I'll accept your knowledge if you can explain to my if ignorant self how all chains will have tight or loose spots outside or manufacturing tolerances...

The main problem with spring tensioners is that the chain will naturally have the tension be on the bottom when starting the engine, thus you have all this force on the spring which will cause the tensioner to loosen up at the top side causing the chain to go into the case. All spring-mounted tensioners will have this issue.

Personally, id stick with the hard-mounted tensioner, as the effect isn't as drastic and won't cause the problems you are seeing. You could try a case saver and get a stronger spring to compensate for the tension being lost.

your going to get tight spots with the chain, spring tensioner or not. There just made it as cheaply as possible, id suggest trying a 415HD or a #41 chain (available at your local tractor supply store)

My feelings aren't hurt dude. I'm just trying to share some knowledge. I'll accept your knowledge if you can explain to my if ignorant self how all chains will have tight or loose spots outside or manufacturing tolerances...
there are many reasons, i'll name the ones i know off the top of my head with my limited knowledge

lubrication: when you spray lubricant on the chain, you aren't gonna lubricate every part in the same way

when riding, dirt, rocks etc, the chain isn't gonna get dirty all over the exact same way... thus further uneven wear

you should look up the topic if you're interested, i got interested a few years ago when i noticed tight spots in my Ducati monster 620 and did some research about it. there is some bad info online but good info too... i'm also lucky to have a few mechanic friends that always help when i have questions etc....

also, notice, almost every motorcycle manual will say "mesure slack the tightest spot" because it's nearly impossible to have without tight spots

All Cheap chains... Like the kind sold by the foot... Problem goes away with KMC wiperman and RK... I like the nickel plated chain...

The main problem with spring tensioners is that the chain will naturally have the tension be on the bottom when starting the engine, thus you have all this force on the spring which will cause the tensioner to loosen up at the top side causing the chain to go into the case. All spring-mounted tensioners will have this issue.

Personally, id stick with the hard-mounted tensioner, as the effect isn't as drastic and won't cause the problems you are seeing. You could try a case saver and get a stronger spring to compensate for the tension being lost.

your going to get tight spots with the chain, spring tensioner or not. There just made it as cheaply as possible, id suggest trying a 415HD or a #41 chain (available at your local tractor supply store)
not sure where i could get a stronger spring here in italy, how is spring strength rated? i'm thinking maybe a spring off a motorcycle exhaust or side stand would be pretty strong...

there are many reasons, i'll name the ones i know off the top of my head with my limited knowledge

lubrication: when you spray lubricant on the chain, you aren't gonna lubricate every part in the same way

when riding, dirt, rocks etc, the chain isn't gonna get dirty all over the exact same way... thus further uneven wear

you should look up the topic if you're interested, i got interested a few years ago when i noticed tight spots in my Ducati monster 620 and did some research about it. there is some bad info online but good info too... i'm also lucky to have a few mechanic friends that always help when i have questions etc....

also, notice, almost every motorcycle manual will say "mesure slack the tightest spot" because it's nearly impossible to have without tight spots
Soak the chain... Oil.. bees wax ... All or everything world doesn't exist...

not sure where i could get a stronger spring here in italy, how is spring strength rated? i'm thinking maybe a spring off a motorcycle exhaust or side stand would be pretty strong...
Ask around

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220424-161809.png
    Screenshot_20220424-161809.png
    323.5 KB · Views: 92
Ask around
i know all hardware stores in the area and they don't sell such springs... diy isn't really big here i have to buy most things online.

if any of you have bought a stronger spring online that works for you let me know :) i can't really seem to find a rating of strength on the websites i'm looking on....

Back