chain tensioner - chinesium design, any fix?

there are many reasons, i'll name the ones i know off the top of my head with my limited knowledge

lubrication: when you spray lubricant on the chain, you aren't gonna lubricate every part in the same way

when riding, dirt, rocks etc, the chain isn't gonna get dirty all over the exact same way... thus further uneven wear

you should look up the topic if you're interested, i got interested a few years ago when i noticed tight spots in my Ducati monster 620 and did some research about it. there is some bad info online but good info too... i'm also lucky to have a few mechanic friends that always help when i have questions etc....

also, notice, almost every motorcycle manual will say "mesure slack the tightest spot" because it's nearly impossible to have without tight spots
All that is how they can develop those symptoms. You said ALL HAVE. Dont tell me how a chain can develop tight or loose spots... Any idiot knows that stuff. I wanna know how they ALL HAVE, without anything causing it.

Bottom line dude... You have a chain slack issue and you came here for help. Don't just assume all chains will be tight and loose in some spots. Look for what is causing it. If you decide that your chain is worn out and that is the cause, spend $15 and replace it.

All chains have the potential to have tight and loose spots, but they shouldn't. Just assuming that's the way it is and disregarding it is sloppy mechanics.

go-to your hardware store, get some #41 chain, get some master links, and a hand full of Half links, take the tensioner off, get the chain as tight as possible while its on the sprocket then remove one link off and add a half link, connect it while its off the sprocket and roll it onto the sprocket by spinning the wheel. take it for a spin slowly this will give it a little slack that should be perfect fit

a perfect fitted chain with no tensioner is best :)

a perfect fitted chain with no tensioner is best :)
And that is exactly what I have done to my bike as well...No so-called tight spots, loose spots either...I custom cut both my drive chain and pedal chain for perfect fit as shown in pics below...No Tensioners...Thanks for mentioning this @DistantWolrld101...DAMIEN

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

get the chain as tight as possible while its on the sprocket then remove one link off and add a half link,
Half links will work as well if your either keeping the tensioner or going for custom fit.

Bottom line dude... You have a chain slack issue and you came here for help. Don't just assume all chains will be tight and loose in some spots. Look for what is causing it. If you decide that your chain is worn out and that is the cause, spend $15 and replace it.

All chains have the potential to have tight and loose spots, but they shouldn't. Just assuming that's the way it is and disregarding it is sloppy mechanics.
you're still acting like i cam here needing help with my chain tight spots, I NEVER ASKED HELP FOR THAT. because it needs no help, because it isn't an issue.

i started this to talk about the chain tensioner, that's all, forget the chain.

i'm just trying to find a way to improve the design on that tensioner. even if i fix the tight spots on my chain? what good does that do me if this thing isn't tensioning the upper half of the chain enough?

besides the fact that without the original guide the chain is rubbing against the frame because there is nothing to guide it properly

Look at this idiot with a dialometer explaining how the problem is usually with your sprocket and not your chain. You should go tell him how it is.

oh this guy! i know him from this video

listen, have it your way it's the sprocket causing it and whatever else, that's not my point. like i told you almost every motorcycle i've owned, and almost all bikes i see on the street have tight spots.

no body is gonna waste hours in the garage fixing an issue that isn't an issue... that's all i'm trying to say, this ISN'T an issue. call it a minor fault or whatever, the worse thing that can happen is what? shorter chain and sprocket life perhaps?

my bmw f650 has 50k km on the chain, it has very noticeable tight spots, but it's not an issue by any means, and the chain and sprockets still look great because they've been well cared for.... the tight spots would have to be extremely bad to cause issues, to the point where the loose spot could potentially cause the chain to fall off the sprocket, but it would have to be to some extreme extent that i've never experienced

going back on the 80cc kit, everything is made like ass on the original kit, everything. if i waste time improving this, i'd have to justify not improving the other 100's of faults and imperfections these kits have

i use the damn thing in the dirt, bend rims from big potholes, come back with the bike covered in mud, i don't want this to be perfect or look pretty, i always trash this bike since the only use i can get out of it is off-road as its not road legal to ride these things here

hell my from rim is warped to hell and i'm still riding on

The tensioner isn't working well because of the angle of your engine. Answered in post 9

I don't give a crap about your chain or your problem.

You claimed that ALL chains have tight and loose spots.

I am claiming that chains should not have tight or loose spots. If there is then it is another problem.

I wasn't talking about a crap chain that has worn out.

Good luck with your chain issues.

Back