chain tensioner - chinesium design, any fix?

i bought this spring-loaded chain tensioner hoping it would make the chain tension more constant as chains have tight spots and it annoyed me.

however, this thing is a piece of junk. whenever you try to pedal/start the engine, there isn't enough tension on the upper part of the chain so the chain gets stuck in between the sprocket and sprocket housing needing to take the sprocket cover off and unjam the chain.

i'm trying to thing if there is a way to fix this idiotic design, first of all the mounting spot is the first thing i would change - the lower part of the chain is practically touching the upper part and if the chain streaches a bit, which it will, they will rub against each other. i tried shortening a link, but it makes the chain too short to connect.

now, i wanna leave it to the experts, is it possible to make something out of this? i have a feeling the spring is too weak no matter where you place it to put enough force to tension the upper part too.

if y'all have some idea throw them at me, otherwise i guess the only thing to do this is to turn it into a chain tensioner like the original (non spring loaded.)

the pictures are from the internet as i already took the damn thing off as it kept jamming my chai
Try getting a half link and also there is a part on Amazon you can order that goes under clutch cover and it fills in the extra space and makes it impossible for chain to bind up in there. Sorry I don't remember what the part is called but I'm sure you can find it. Hope this helps and Goodluck...

Try getting a half link and also there is a part on Amazon you can order that goes under clutch cover and it fills in the extra space and makes it impossible for chain to bind up in there. Sorry I don't remember what the part is called but I'm sure you can find it. Hope this helps and Goodluck...
This is the one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220428-220355.png
    Screenshot_20220428-220355.png
    309.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot_20220428-220404.png
    Screenshot_20220428-220404.png
    502.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot_20220428-220410.png
    Screenshot_20220428-220410.png
    424.3 KB · Views: 130
When I buy a chain masterlink I always order a half link at the same time. It gives more you more options on chain set up, tensioners and idlers.

As previously mentioned, half-link for the chain is the answer. To OP you have WAY too much slack on the chain. I had the exact same issue when I initially put my kit together. The spring loaded chain tensioner works fine if the chain has the proper amount of slack. I'm only at about 20 miles so I'm hoping I'll eventually be able to pull the half link out, take out a full link and have it be good but who knows. The half link has held up so far....

lmao, really? i'm sorry for hurting your feeling for pointing out something factually correct.

there is always gonna be that one guy on online forums.

but i guess you know better than any mechanic in the world.... since every mechanic would give you the same answer lol.

it really sucks when people get so confrontational when someone points out they're wrong.

this isn't even an argument, chains stretch and will never do so 100% evenly period. if you have a constructive argument to why you oppose this claim go ahead.
Yup ,chains stretch, nature of the beast. many manufacturers offer belt and shaft drives, but chains will always be around .👍

Back