Chain tensioner in spokes

Local time
2:29 AM
My chain tensioner keeps getting caught in the spokes I have tried tightening it, adding the spring on it, I have even bolted it to the bike frame. I need suggestions guys.

Last edited:
My chain tensioner keeps getting caught in the spokes I have tried tightening it, adding the spring on it, I have even bolted it to the bike frame. u need suggestions guys.
you bolted it to the frame and it still moved? sounds like you didnt tighten the bolts properly . i have a small chunk of 3mm aluminium wedged between my dropout and tensioner because my dropout is too narrow maybe thats your prob too?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If I was to get a tensioner like that I'd need a wider BB making it not worth my while 30€ for those few scraps of metal haha no thanks , I was going to make something similar myself but my crank barely clears the engine on that side , still not come up with a good alternative . am currently using the kit clamp just with a different roller seems ok so far

My chain tensioner keeps getting caught in the spokes I have tried tightening it, adding the spring on it, I have even bolted it to the bike frame. u need suggestions guys.
If the spring tensioner won't clear your pedals take a look at the arch idler pulley chain tensioner from kingsmotors or gasbike. 19 bucks and your chain tensioner will never get into your spokes again.

only time a tensioner gets pulled into spokes is when chain is way too tight - I'd say your chain isn't adjusted properly or it is misaligned so that it is trying to climb up over the rear sprocket

Crassius is right, alignment is critical. Most of these kit sprockets are not trued and the rag joint connection is only a crutch. A good spring-loaded aftermarket tensioner will not only fix that, but will be much quieter and look 1000 times better. Why would anyone want to run that noisy, butt-ugly, and possibly dangerous stock pos? The spring-loaded tensioner needs the chain to be pretty tight to work correctly.

If the spring tensioner won't clear your pedals take a look at the arch idler pulley chain tensioner from kingsmotors or gasbike. 19 bucks and your chain tensioner will never get into your spokes again.
19 bucks !!! I could get 12 metres of 50 X 3 flat steel for that possibly more , I might make something similar what's the purpose of it being arched?

Back