Chain tensioner not working

Matt Barrack

Local time
1:42 PM
I just noticed this but my chain tightener/tensioner isn't on right. The tube it's on isn't shaped right so it doesn't fit on correctly. We positioned it so it doesn't jam but every now and then there is a loud pop coming from the chain. I believe it's because the chain is coming off the sprocket. Any ways I can fix this? Can I bend the tensioner?

yes, one sometimes needs to bend it a bit, but I'm wondering if you tried turning it around, then moving pulley to other side - many newer bikes like the long arm inside the chain stay and pulley inside that

There is a little X direction (toward the wheel) adjustment that can be made on the pulley by putting in spacer nuts or spacers on the pulley bolt. Just watch out for clearance between the spacers/nut and the pulley. That small adjustment might be enough to prevent the chain pop which will reduce excessive wear on your chain.

I dealt with my chain poping and wanting to come off today, tried all different configurations of the tensioner with no success. I ended up removing 1 link and now the chain is perfect. I dont know what the correct way to remove a link is but i was able to do it with a flathead screwdriver and a hammer to remove and a pair of channel locks to install

I just noticed this but my chain tightener/tensioner isn't on right. The tube it's on isn't shaped right so it doesn't fit on correctly. We positioned it so it doesn't jam but every now and then there is a loud pop coming from the chain. I believe it's because the chain is coming off the sprocket. Any ways I can fix this? Can I bend the tensioner?
Sometime if you have slack on the top chain its because you need to raise your engine rear up and put it into more of a nose dive, but if removing a link solved so much the better.

oh
I dealt with my chain poping and wanting to come off today, tried all different configurations of the tensioner with no success. I ended up removing 1 link and now the chain is perfect. I dont know what the correct way to remove a link is but i was able to do it with a flathead screwdriver and a hammer to remove and a pair of channel locks to install
ok thanks. If i do this i hope it works because there's no going back

I just tried a new invention to let the tension wheel flow free use a retraction spring to keep tension on it cuz the chain always bucks and force down the tension wheel every 10 mile ride it a bummer to keep tightening it.

But, I had too much tension on the retraction and it jam inside the housing trying to get brave again to place it in so there is half inch play.

If you look at the chain with the back wheel held up and rotating you will probably see the pop is coming from the master link when it catches on the lip of the tensioner. This can be corrected by twisting the tensioner to where it is more in alignment with the sprocket.

Ive better performance by tossing the plastic wheel in the trash and replacing it with a Gear tensioning wheel. Also positioning the bracket closer to the chain plate allows for a full link to be removed as your chain stretches instead of a half link...

Back